- •Postirradiation sarcoma (PIS) is a rare radiation-induced malignancy after nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) treatment.
- •DVH analysis demonstrated that PIS occurred mainly within high dose (>55Gy) region.
- •Higher radiation energy and modern technology were associated with shortened PIS latency time.
- •After PIS development, surgery, compared with radiation or systemic therapy, was associated with better survival.
Background and purpose
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2018;68:394-424.
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma: an evolving paradigm.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2021; 18: 679-695
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy versus 2D-RT or 3D-CRT for the treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Oral Oncol. 2015; 51: 1041-1046
- Treatment outcomes of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in modern era after intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in Hong Kong: a report of 3328 patients (HKNPCSG 1301 study).Oral Oncol. 2018; 77: 16-21
Huang TL, Chien CY, Tsai WL, Liao KC, Chou SY, Lin HC, et al. Long-term late toxicities and quality of life for survivors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated with intensity-modulated radiotherapy versus non-intensity-modulated radiotherapy. Head & neck. 2016;38:E1026-32.
- Long-term late toxicity, quality of life, and emotional distress in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated with intensity modulated radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; 102: 340-352
- A single-institution study and review of the literature.Cancer. 1994; 73: 2653-2662
- Radiation-induced malignancies making radiotherapy a “two-edged sword”: a review of literature.World J Oncol. 2017; 8: 1-6
Peng G, Wang T, Yang KY, Zhang S, Zhang T, Li Q, et al. A prospective, randomized study comparing outcomes and toxicities of intensity-modulated radiotherapy vs. conventional two-dimensional radiotherapy for the treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Radiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. 2012;104:286-93.
Du T, Xiao J, Qiu Z, Wu K. The effectiveness of intensity-modulated radiation therapy versus 2D-RT for the treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PloS one. 2019;14:e0219611.
Zhang MX, Li J, Shen GP, Zou X, Xu JJ, Jiang R, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy prolongs the survival of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma compared with conventional two-dimensional radiotherapy: A 10-year experience with a large cohort and long follow-up. European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990). 2015;51:2587-95.
- Radiation-induced clustered DNA lesions: repair and mutagenesis.Free Radic Biol Med. 2017; 107: 125-135
- Second cancer risk up to 40 years after treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2499-2511
- Cumulative absolute breast cancer risk for young women treated for Hodgkin lymphoma.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97: 1428-1437
De Bruin ML, Sparidans J, van't Veer MB, Noordijk EM, Louwman MW, Zijlstra JM, et al. Breast cancer risk in female survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma: lower risk after smaller radiation volumes. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2009;27:4239-46.
- Lung cancer after treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma: a systematic review.Lancet Oncol. 2005; 6: 773-779
- Second cancers among 104,760 survivors of cervical cancer: evaluation of long-term risk.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 1634-1643
- Imaging findings of radiation-induced sarcoma of the head and neck.Br J Radiol. 2007; 80: 790-797
- Radiation-induced sarcomas of the head and neck in post-radiation nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Radiol Med. 2017; 122: 53-60
- Radiation-induced sarcoma of the head and neck: a review of the literature.Front Oncol. 2018; 8: 449
- Radiation-induced sarcoma in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a single-institution study.Cancer. 2010; 116: 5479-5486
- Radiation-induced sarcoma of the head and neck following radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a single institutional experience and literature review.Front Oncol. 2020; 10526360
- Postradiation sarcoma after radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 2695-2699
- Radiation-induced sarcoma of head and neck: 50 years of experience at a single institution in an endemic area of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in China.Med Oncol (Northwood, London, England). 2012; 29: 670-676
- Clinical characteristics of radiation-induced sarcoma of the head and neck: review of 15 cases and 323 cases in the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg : Off J Am Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 283-291
- Radiation dose and risk of soft tissue and bone sarcoma after breast cancer treatment.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 89: 277-288
Berrington de Gonzalez A, Kutsenko A, Rajaraman P. Sarcoma risk after radiation exposure. Clinical sarcoma research. 2012;2:18.
- Radiation-induced second cancers: the impact of 3D-CRT and IMRT.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 56: 83-88
Dörr W, Herrmann T. Second primary tumors after radiotherapy for malignancies. Treatment-related parameters. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie : Organ der Deutschen Rontgengesellschaft [et al]. 2002;178:357-62.
- Second malignancies in high-dose areas of previous tumor radiotherapy.Strahlentherapie und Onkol : Organ Deutschen Rontgengesellschaft [et al]. 2010; 186: 174-179
- Radiation biology and radiation protection.Ann ICRP. 2012; 41: 64-71
- Treatment related factors associated with the risk of breast radio-induced-sarcoma.Radiother Oncol : J Eur Soc Ther Radiol Oncol. 2022; 171: 14-21
- Outcomes and prognostic factors of post-irradiation and de novo sarcomas of the head and neck: a histologically matched case-control study.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 3066-3075
Rosko AJ, Birkeland AC, Chinn SB, Shuman AG, Prince ME, Patel RM, et al. Survival and Margin Status in Head and Neck Radiation-Induced Sarcomas and De Novo Sarcomas. Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2017;157:252-9
- Do radiation-associated soft tissue sarcomas have the same prognosis as sporadic soft tissue sarcomas?.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2064-2069
- Radiation-associated undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma is associated with worse clinical outcomes than Sporadic Lesions.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3913-3920
- Salvage surgery for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. European archives of oto-rhino-laryngology : official journal of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (EUFOS): affiliated with the German Society for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology.Head Neck Surg. 2014; 271: 1845-1850
- Overcoming wound complications in head and neck salvage surgery.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2018; 45: 1135-1142