- •Regional intra-cerebral variation in tissue response after proton therapy.
- •Increased relative biological effectiveness of proton therapy.
- •Spatial accumulation of radiation-induced brain injuries at cerebral ventricles and edge of clinical target volume.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Dosimetric advantages of proton therapy over conventional radiotherapy with photons in young patients and adults with low-grade glioma.Strahlentherapie und Onkologie. 2016; 192: 759-769https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-016-1005-9
Jhaveri J, Cheng E, Tian S, Buchwald Z, Chowdhary M, Liu Y, et al. Proton vs. Photon Radiation Therapy for Primary Gliomas: An Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Front Oncol 2018;8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2018.00440.
Combs SE. Does Proton Therapy Have a Future in CNS Tumors? Current Treatment Options in Neurology 2017;19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11940-017-0447-4.
- Tissue-type mapping of gliomas.NeuroImage: Clin. 2019; 21101648https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2018.101648
- Retrospective assessment of MRI-based volumetric changes of normal tissues in glioma patients following radio(chemo)therapy.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018; 8: 17-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctro.2017.11.008
- Dose dependent cerebellar atrophy in glioma patients after radio(chemo)therapy.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2020; 150: 262-267https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2020.07.044
- “Radiobiology of Proton Therapy”: results of an international expert workshop.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2018; 128: 56-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2018.05.018
- Late contrast enhancing brain lesions in proton-treated patients with low-grade glioma: clinical evidence for increased periventricular sensitivity and variable RBE.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2020; 107: 571-578https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.03.013
- Predicting late magnetic resonance image changes in glioma patients after proton therapy.Acta Oncologica. 2019; 58: 1536-1539https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2019.1631477
- Clinical evidence of variable proton biological effectiveness in pediatric patients treated for ependymoma.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2016; 121: 395-401https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.11.001
- Asymptomatic late-phase radiographic changes among chest-wall patients are associated with a proton RBE exceeding 1.1.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2018; 101: 809-819https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.03.037
- End-of-range radiobiological effect on rib fractures in patients receiving proton therapy for breast cancer.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2020; 107: 449-454https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.03.012
- An ion-independent phenomenological relative biological effectiveness (RBE) model for proton therapy.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2022; 174: 69-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2022.06.023
- Relative biological effectiveness in proton beam therapy – current knowledge and future challenges.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018; 9: 35-41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctro.2018.01.006
- Mixed effect modeling of dose and linear energy transfer correlations with brain image changes after intensity modulated proton therapy for skull base head and neck cancer.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2021; 111: 684-692https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2021.06.016
- Brain necrosis in adult patients after proton therapy: is there evidence for dependency on linear energy transfer?.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2021; 109: 109-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.08.058
- Study of relationship between dose, LET and the risk of brain necrosis after proton therapy for skull base tumors.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 163: 143-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.08.015
- Does the uncertainty in relative biological effectiveness affect patient treatment in proton therapy?.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 163: 177-184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.08.016
- Comparing biological effectiveness guided plan optimization strategies for cranial proton therapy: potential and challenges.Radiation Oncology. 2022; 17: 169https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-022-02143-x
- Clinical use and future requirements of relative biological effectiveness: survey among all European proton therapy centres.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2022; 172: 134-139https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2022.05.015
- Association of 1p/19q codeletion and radiation necrosis in adult cranial gliomas after proton or photon therapy.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2018; 101: 334-343https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.01.099
- Radiation necrosis in pediatric patients with brain tumors treated with proton radiotherapy.AJNR. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2015; 36: 1572-1578https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A4333
- Evolution of radiation-induced brain injury: MR Imaging–based study.Radiology. 2009; 254: 210-218https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.09090428
- Radiation induced contrast enhancement after proton beam therapy in patients with low grade glioma – How safe are protons?.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2022; 167: 211-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.12.035
- Regional susceptibility to dose-dependent white matter damage after brain radiotherapy.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2017; 123: 209-217https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2017.04.006
- Radiation necrosis in the brain: imaging features and differentiation from tumor recurrence.Radiographics. 2012; 32: 1343-1359https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.325125002
- The 2007 WHO classification of tumours of the central nervous system.Acta Neuropathologica. 2007; 114: 97-109https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-007-0243-4
- The 2016 World Health Organization classification of tumors of the central nervous system: a summary.Acta Neuropathologica. 2016; 131: 803-820https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-016-1545-1
- A Monte Carlo based radiation response modelling framework to assess variability of clinical RBE in proton therapy.Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2019; 64225020https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/ab3841
- Precision modeling of the IBA Universal Nozzle double scattering mode at the University Proton Therapy Dresden.Journal of Instrumentation. 2021;
- TOPAS: an innovative proton Monte Carlo platform for research and clinical applications.Medical Physics. 2012; 39: 6818-6837https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4758060
- Material assignment for proton range prediction in Monte Carlo patient simulations using stopping-power datasets.Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/ab9702
- Towards harmonizing clinical linear energy transfer (LET) reporting in proton radiotherapy: a European multi-centric study.Acta Oncologica. 2022; 61: 206-214https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2021.1992007
- Report of the AAPM TG-256 on the relative biological effectiveness of proton beams in radiation therapy.Medical Physics. 2019; 46: e53-e78https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.13390
- N4ITK: improved N3 bias correction.IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2010; 29: 1310-1320https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2010.2046908
- A reproducible evaluation of ANTs similarity metric performance in brain image registration.NeuroImage. 2011; 54: 2033-2044https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.09.025
- Normal tissue complication probability (NTCP) models for predicting temporal lobe injury after intensity-modulated radiotherapy in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A large registry-based retrospective study from China.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 157: 99-105https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.01.008
- A framework for voxel-based assessment of biological effect after proton radiotherapy in pediatric brain cancer patients using multi-modal imaging.Medical Physics. 2021; 48: 4110-4121https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.14989
- Brain necrosis in adult patients after proton therapy: is there evidence for dependency on linear energy transfer?.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.08.058
- Update of the EPTN atlas for CT- and MR-based contouring in neuro-oncology.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 160: 259-265https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.05.013
- Radiation-induced brain injury: a review.Frontiers in Oncology. 2012; 2https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2012.00073
- A normal tissue dose response model of dynamic repair processes.Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2006; 51: 153-172https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/51/1/012
- How can scanned proton beam treatment planning for low-grade glioma cope with increased distal RBE and locally increased radiosensitivity for late MR-detected brain lesions?.Medical Physics. 2021; 48: 1497-1507https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.14739
- Introducing proton track-end objectives in intensity modulated proton therapy optimization to reduce linear energy transfer and relative biological effectiveness in critical structures.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2019; 103: 747-757https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.10.031
- Reoptimization of intensity modulated proton therapy plans based on linear energy transfer.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2016; 96: 1097-1106https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2016.08.038
- A model for the relative biological effectiveness of protons: the tissue specific parameter α/β of photons is a predictor for the sensitivity to LET changes.Acta Oncologica. 2013; 52: 580-588https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2012.705892
- A systematic review on the usage of averaged LET in radiation biology for particle therapy.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 161: 211-221https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.04.007
- Brain injury after proton therapy or carbon ion therapy for head-and-neck cancer and skull base tumors.International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2009; 75: 378-384https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.12.092
- Late side effects in normal mouse brain tissue after proton irradiation.Frontiers in Oncology. 2020; 10598360https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2020.598360
- Volumetric and actuarial analysis of brain necrosis in proton therapy using a novel mixture cure model.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2020; 142: 154-161https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2019.09.008
- Predicted probabilities of brain injury after carbon ion radiotherapy for head and neck and skull base tumors in long-term survivors.Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2021; 165: 152-158https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2021.10.017