- •Critical structure constraints used in our randomized controlled trial of short-course versus conventional radiotherapy for patients with glioblastoma were appropriate for limiting grade 2 or higher toxicities.
- •Higher left-hippocampal mean doses were the most predictive for neuro-cognitive decline post-radiotherapy.
- •Routine contouring and use of dose constraints for the hippocampus is recommended.
- •Our left hippocampus sparing treatment model may help minimize neuro-cognitive decline in patients with glioblastoma treated with radiotherapy.
Methods and Materials
Abbreviations:CTCAE (Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events), ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group), EQD2 (equivalent dose in 2 Gy per fraction), MCO (Multi-Criteria Optimization), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination), OAR (organ at risk), PTV (planning target volume), RT (radiotherapy), RTOG (Radiation Therapy Oncology Group), QUANTEC (Quantitative Analysis of Normal Tissue Effects in the Clinic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 987-996
- Randomized comparisons of radiotherapy and nitrosoureas for the treatment of malignant glioma after surgery.N Engl J Med. 1980; 303: 1323-1329
- Temozolomide versus standard 6-week radiotherapy versus hypofractionated radiotherapy in patients older than 60 years with glioblastoma: the nordic randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 916-926
- Abbreviated course of radiation therapy in older patients with glioblastoma multiforme: a prospective randomized clinical trial.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 1583-1588
- International atomic energy agency randomized phase iii study of radiation therapy in elderly and/or frail patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 4145-4150
- A randomized trial of short-course versus conventional radiotherapy with concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide in patients 18 to 70 years of age with glioblastoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021; 111: S24
- Biological equivalent dose assessment of the consequences of hypofractionated radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 47: 1379-1384
- Rtog 0913: a phase 1 study of daily everolimus (rad001) in combination with radiation therapy and temozolomide in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 880-884
- Phase i study of hypofractionated intensity modulated radiation therapy with concurrent and adjuvant temozolomide in patients with glioblastoma multiforme.Radiat Oncol (London, England). 2013; 8: 38
- Hypofractionated radiotherapy for elderly or younger low-performance status glioblastoma patients: outcome and prognostic factors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 56: 519-528
- Accelerated hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiotherapy with concurrent and adjuvant temozolomide for patients with glioblastoma multiforme: a safety and efficacy analysis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 73: 473-478
- A phase i dose escalation study of hypofractionated imrt field-in-field boost for newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 743-748
- Tolerance of normal tissue to therapeutic irradiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1991; 21: 109-122
- Quantitative analyses of normal tissue effects in the clinic (quantec): an introduction to the scientific issues.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: S3-S9
- The hippocampus—what does it do?.Behav Neural Biol. 1992; 57: 2-36
- Preservation of memory with conformal avoidance of the hippocampal neural stem-cell compartment during whole-brain radiotherapy for brain metastases (rtog 0933): a phase ii multi-institutional trial.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3810
- Hippocampal dosimetry predicts neurocognitive function impairment after fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for benign or low-grade adult brain tumors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83
- Hippocampal radiotherapy dose constraints for predicting long-term neurocognitive outcomes: mature data from a prospective trial in young patients with brain tumors.Neuro-oncology. 2020; 22: 1677-1685
- Hippocampal dose constraints for predicting long-term neurocognitive outcomes in young patients: mature data from a prospective trial of conformal radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 96: S119-S120
- Left hippocampal dosimetry correlates with visual and verbal memory outcomes in survivors of pediatric brain tumors.Cancer. 2018; 124: 2238-2245
Mahajan A, Dong L, Prabhu SS, et al. Application of deformable image registration to hippocampal doses and neurocognitive outcomes. Neuro-Oncology. DUKE UNIV PRESS 905 W MAIN ST, STE 18-B, DURHAM, NC 27701 USA. 2007. pp. 583-584.
- Hippocampal-sparing whole-brain radiotherapy: a “how-to” technique using helical tomotherapy and linear accelerator-based intensity-modulated radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 1244-1252
- Predicting aggressive decline in mild cognitive impairment: the importance of white matter hyperintensities.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 872-877
- Does a reliable decline in mini mental state examination total score predict dementia? diagnostic accuracy of two reliable change indices.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009; 27: 50-58
- Rapidplan head and neck model: The objectives and possible clinical benefit.Radiation Oncology. 2017; 12: 1-12
- A new concept for interactive radiotherapy planning with multicriteria optimization: first clinical evaluation.Radiother Oncol. 2007; 85: 292-298
- Evaluation of a knowledge-based planning solution for head and neck cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 612-620
- On the pre-clinical validation of a commercial model-based optimisation engine: application to volumetric modulated arc therapy for patients with lung or prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 113: 385-391
- Human handedness: a meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2020; 146: 481
- Language lateralization in healthy right-handers.Brain. 2000; 123: 74-81
- Cognitive impairment following radiation to hippocampus and other brain structures in adults with primary brain tumours.Radiother Oncol. 2020; 148: 1-7
Bernard B, Goldman JG. Mmse-mini-mental state examination Encyclopedia of movement disorders: Elsevier Inc; 2010. pp. 187-189.
- Hippocampal dosimetry correlates with the change in neurocognitive function after hippocampal sparing during whole brain radiotherapy: a prospective study.Radiat Oncol. 2015; 10: 1-15