- •Oxygen depletion during irradiation was measured dynamically using a nanoparticle.
- •Oxygen depletion yields was measured at 200 Hz using a fiber-optic system.
- •Ultra-high dose rate radiation depleted 13% less oxygen than conventional radiation.
- •Radiochemical oxygen depletion is lower under hypoxic conditions, i.e., below 20 µM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ultrahigh dose-rate FLASH irradiation increases the differential response between normal and tumor tissue in mice.Sci Transl Med. 2014; 6 (245ra93-ra93)
- Irradiation in a flash: unique sparing of memory in mice after whole brain irradiation with dose rates above 100 Gy/s.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 124: 365-369
- Design, implementation, and in vivo validation of a novel proton FLASH radiation therapy system.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020; 106: 440-448
- FLASH irradiation spares lung progenitor cells and limits the incidence of radio-induced senescence.Clin Cancer Res. 2020; 26: 1497-1506
- The advantage of Flash radiotherapy confirmed in mini-pig and cat-cancer patients.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 35-42
- FLASH irradiation results in reduced severe skin toxicity compared to conventional-dose-rate irradiation.Rad Res. 2020; 194: 618-624
- Ultra-high dose rate electron beams and the FLASH effect: From preclinical evidence to a new radiotherapy paradigm.Med Phys. 2022; 49: 2082-2095
- Hypoxia in mouse intestine induced by electron irradiation at high dose-rates.Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med. 1971; 19: 479-483
- Effects of dose-rate on the radiation response of rat skin.Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med. 1974; 26: 259-267
- The constant low oxygen concentration in all the target cells for mouse tail radionecrosis.Rad Res. 1982; 92: 172-181
- High dose-rate dependence of early skin reaction in mouse.Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med. 1980; 38: 139-145
- Reproductive survival of mammalian cells after irradiation at ultra-high dose-rates: further observations and their importance for radiotherapy.Br J Radiol. 1972; 45: 171-177
- Oxygen depletion in cells irradiated at ultra-high dose-rates and at conventional dose-rates.Int J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med. 1974; 26: 17-29
- Quantification of oxygen depletion during FLASH irradiation in vitro and in vivo.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021; 111: 240-248
- Ultrafast tracking of oxygen dynamics during proton FLASH.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2022;
- Does FLASH deplete oxygen? Experimental evaluation for photons, protons, and carbon ions.Med Phys. 2021; 48: 3982-3990
- Proton irradiation platforms for preclinical studies of high-dose-rate (FLASH) effects at RARAF.Rad Res. 2020; 194: 646-655
- Ultra-high-dose-rate FLASH irradiation may spare hypoxic stem cell niches in normal tissues.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 105: 190-192
- A computational model of radiolytic oxygen depletion during FLASH irradiation and its effect on the oxygen enhancement ratio.Phys Med Biol. 2019; 64: 185005
- Multicellular spheroids as in vitro models of oxygen depletion during FLASH irradiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021; 110: 833-844
- 3D computational model of oxygen depletion kinetics in brain vasculature during FLASH RT, and its implications for in vivo oximetry experiments.Med Phys. 2022;
- Long-term neurocognitive benefits of FLASH radiotherapy driven by reduced reactive oxygen species.P Natl Aacad Sci USA. 2019; 116: 10943-10951
- Electron dose rate and oxygen depletion protect zebrafish embryos from radiation damage.Radiother Oncol. 2021; 158: 7-12
- The FLASH effect depends on oxygen concentration.Br J Radiol. 2020; 92: 20190702
- A near-infrared phosphorescent nanoprobe enables quantitative, longitudinal imaging of tumor hypoxia dynamics during radiotherapy.Cancer Res. 2019; 79: 4787-4797
- Semiconducting polymer nanoparticles as photoacoustic molecular imaging probes in living mice.Nat Nanotechnol. 2014; 9: 233-239
- Experimental platform for ultra-high dose rate FLASH irradiation of small animals using a clinical linear accelerator.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 97: 195-203
- Abdominal FLASH irradiation reduces radiation-induced gastrointestinal toxicity for the treatment of ovarian cancer in mice.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 1-14
- Oxygen depletion in irradiated aqueous solutions containing electron affinic hypoxic cell radiosensitizers.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1986; 12: 1055-1058
- The importance of hypoxia in radiotherapy for the immune response, metastatic potential and FLASH-RT.Int J Radiat Biol. 2022; 98: 439-451
- Redefining the photo-stability of common fluorophores with triplet state quenchers: mechanistic insights and recent updates.Chem Commun. 2019; 55: 8695-8704