- •Role of postoperative radiation therapy in persistent N2 is unclear.
- •Our analysis suggests that it improved survival in those patients.
- •Individuals with persistent N2 may benefit from postoperative radiation.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Cancer Institute Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program. Annual report to the nation 2021: overall cancer statistics. https://seer.cancer.gov/report_to_nation/statistics.html [accessed on May 9, 2022].
- Lung adjuvant cisplatin evaluation: a pooled analysis by the LACE Collaborative Group.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 3552-3559
- Preoperative chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1561-1571
- Postoperative radiotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data from nine randomised controlled trials.Lancet. 1998; 352: 257-263
- Postoperative radiotherapy for Stage II or III non–small-cell lung cancer using the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2998-3006
- Modern post-operative radiotherapy for stage III non-small cell lung cancer may improve local control and survival: a meta-analysis.Radiothr Oncol. 2014; 110: 3-8
- Postoperative radiotherapy versus no postoperative radiotherapy in patients with completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer and proven mediastinal N2 involvement (Lung ART): an open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2022; 23: 104-114
- Effect of postoperative radiotherapy for patients with pIIIA-N2 non-small cell lung cancer after complete resection and adjuvant chemotherapy. The phase 3 PORT-C randomized clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7: 1178-1185
- Mediastinal lymph node clearance after docetaxelcisplatin neoadjuvant chemotherapy is prognostic of survival in patients with stage IIIA pN2 non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter phase II trial.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 1752-1759
National Cancer Database. American College of Surgeons. Available at: https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/cancer/ncdb [accessed on May 2, 2020].
- Optimal matching for observational studies.J Am Stat Assoc. 1989; 84: 1024-1032
- Effect of preoperative chemoradiation in addition to preoperative chemotherapy: a randomised trial in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 636-648
- Induction chemoradiation in stage IIIA/N2 non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase 3 randomised trial.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1049-1056
- A phase 3 study of induction treatment with concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus chemotherapy before surgery in patients with pathologically confirmed N2 stage IIIA nonsmall cell lung cancer (WJTOG9903).Cancer. 2012; 118: 6126-6135
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Non-small cell lung cancer [version 3.2022]. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nscl.pdf [accessed May 13, 2022].
- Neoadjuvant nivolumab plus chemotherapy in resectable lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 1973-1985
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for lung cancer: current status and future developments.J Thorac Oncol. 2014; 9: 1598-1608
- Radiotherapy plus chemotherapy with or without surgical resection for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 379-386
- Postoperative radiation therapy should be used for completely resected stage III-N2 NSCLC in select patients.J Thorac Oncol. 2022; 17: 194-196