- •The target population of a deep learning prognostication model could be extended.
- •The model predicted survival in patients receiving stereotactic radiotherapy for lung cancer.
- •The deep learning model output was an independent prognostic factor for survival.
- •Heat map visualized the association of intra- and peri-tumoral features with survival.
Background and purpose
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:AUC (area under the time-dependent receiver operating characteristic curve), CI (confidence interval), DFS (disease-free survival), DLPM (deep learning prognostication model), HR (hazard ratio), IQR (interquartile range), OS (overall survival), SABR (stereotactic ablative radiotherapy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International evaluation of an AI system for breast cancer screening.Nature. 2020; 577: 89-94
- Deep learning enables automatic classification of emphysema pattern at CT.Radiology. 2020; 294: 434-444
- Differentiation of benign from malignant pulmonary nodules by using a convolutional neural network to determine volume change at chest CT.Radiology. 2020; 296: 432-443
- Deep learning predicts lung cancer treatment response from serial medical imaging.Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 25: 3266-3275
- Artificial intelligence for precision medicine in neurodevelopmental disorders.NPJ Digit Med. 2019; 2: 112
- A radiomics approach to assess tumour-infiltrating CD8 cells and response to anti-PD-1 or anti-PD-L1 immunotherapy: an imaging biomarker, retrospective multicohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 1180-1191
- Survival prediction of non-small cell lung cancer patients using radiomics analyses of cone-beam CT images.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 123: 363-369
- Radiomics-based prognosis analysis for non-small cell lung cancer.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 46349
- Development of a radiomics nomogram based on the 2D and 3D CT features to predict the survival of non-small cell lung cancer patients.Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 2196-2206
- Preoperative CT-based deep learning model for predicting disease-free survival in patients with lung adenocarcinomas.Radiology. 2020; 296: 216-224
- Methodologic guide for evaluating clinical performance and effect of artificial intelligence technology for medical diagnosis and prediction.Radiology. 2018; 286: 800-809
- The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: proposals for revision of the TNM stage groupings in the forthcoming (eighth) edition of the TNM classification for lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2016; 11: 39-51
- Community of Population-Based Regional Cancer Registries. Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2015.Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 50: 303-316
Gensheimer MF, Narasimhan B. A scalable discrete-time survival model for neural networks. PeerJ. 2019;7:e6257.
- How to develop, validate, and compare clinical prediction models involving radiological parameters: study design and statistical methods.Korean J Radiol. 2016; 17: 339-350
- Time-dependent ROC curve analysis in medical research: current methods and applications.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2017; 17: 53
- Review of statistical methods for evaluating the performance of survival or other time-to-event prediction models (from conventional to deep learning approaches).Korean J Radiol. 2021; 22: 1697https://doi.org/10.3348/kjr.2021.0223
- Estimating and comparing time-dependent areas under receiver operating characteristic curves for censored event times with competing risks.Stat Med. 2013; 32: 5381-5397
- Assessing calibration of prognostic risk scores.Stat Methods Med Res. 2016; 25: 1692-1706
- Inappropriate use of bivariable analysis to screen risk factors for use in multivariable analysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 907-916
- Evaluating variability in tumor measurements from same-day repeat CT scans of patients with non-small cell lung cancer.Radiology. 2009; 252: 263-272
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy versus lobectomy for operable stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of two randomised trials.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 630-637
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy and the influence of chemotherapy on overall survival for large (>/=5 centimeter) non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 97: 146-154
- Radiation and immunotherapy: emerging mechanisms of synergy.J Thorac Dis. 2020; 12: 7011-7023
- Design characteristics of studies reporting the performance of artificial intelligence algorithms for diagnostic analysis of medical images: results from recently published papers.Korean J Radiol. 2019; 20: 405-410