- •Little is known about outcomes and toxicities after preplanned trimodality therapy with IMRT to higher doses.
- •Using IMRT, there was no difference in complications or overall survival for patients receiving <60 Gy and ≥60 Gy.
- •On univariate and multivariable analyses, increased length of hospital stay was significantly associated with worse overall survival.
Abbreviations:3D-CRT (three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy), AJCC (American Joint Committee on Cancer), ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), CI (confidence interval), CRT (chemoradiation), CT (computed tomography), DMFS (Distant metastasis-free survival), EBUS (endobronchial ultrasound), Gy (Gray), HR (hazard ratio), ICU (intensive care unit), IMRT (intensity-modulated radiotherapy), LA (locally advanced), LCCS (lung cancer-specific survival), LOS (length of hospital stay), LRRFS (Locoregional recurrence-free survival), MLD (mean lung dose), MNC (mediastinal nodal clearance), NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer), OS (overall survival), pCR (pathologic complete response), PET/CT (positron emission tomography/computed tomography), PFS (progression-free survival), RTOG (Radiation Therapy Oncology Group), TMT (trimodality therapy), VATS (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Non-small cell lung cancer: epidemiology, risk factors, treatment, and survivorship.Mayo Clin Proc. 2008; 83: 584-594
- Concurrent cisplatin/etoposide plus chest radiotherapy followed by surgery for stages IIIA (N2) and IIIB non-small-cell lung cancer: mature results of Southwest Oncology Group phase II study 8805.J Clin Oncol. 1995; 13: 1880-1892
- Results of cancer and leukemia group B protocol 8935. A multiinstitutional phase II trimodality trial for stage IIIA (N2) non-small-cell lung cancer. Cancer and Leukemia Group B Thoracic Surgery Group.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109 (discussion 83–5): 473-483
- Radiotherapy plus chemotherapy with or without surgical resection for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 379-386
- Induction treatment before surgery for non-small cell lung cancer.Lung Cancer. 2003; 42: S9-S14
- Postoperative complications after combined neoadjuvant treatment of lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 1993; 55: 986-989
- High-dose radiotherapy as neoadjuvant treatment in non-small-cell lung cancer.Oncology. 2018; 95: 13-19
- Pulmonary resection after high-dose and low-dose chest irradiation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 80 (discussion 30): 1224-1230
- Resection following concurrent chemotherapy and high-dose radiation for stage IIIA non-small cell lung cancer.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 160 (1331–45 e1)
- Phase I/II trial of hyperfractionated radiation and chemotherapy followed by surgery in stage III lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 86: 903-910
- Pulmonary resection after curative intent radiotherapy (>59 Gy) and concurrent chemotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 78 (discussion 6): 1200-1205
- Radiation therapy oncology group protocol 02–29: a phase II trial of neoadjuvant therapy with concurrent chemotherapy and full-dose radiation therapy followed by surgical resection and consolidative therapy for locally advanced non-small cell carcinoma of the lung.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 456-463
- Oncological outcomes from trimodality therapy receiving definitive doses of neoadjuvant chemoradiation (>/=60 Gy) and factors influencing consideration for surgery in stage III non-small cell lung cancer.Adv Radiat Oncol. 2017; 2: 259-269
- Nodal stage after induction therapy for stage IIIA lung cancer determines patient survival.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 70: 1826-1831
- Multimodality therapy for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 3257-3269
- Pretreatment clinical mediastinal nodal bulk and extent do not influence survival in N2-positive stage IIIA non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with trimodality therapy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 2083-2090
- Radiologic-pathologic correlation of response to chemoradiation in resectable locally advanced NSCLC.Lung Cancer. 2016; 102: 1-8
- Relationship between radiation therapy dose and outcome in patients treated with neoadjuvant chemoradiation therapy and surgery for stage IIIA non-small cell lung cancer: A population-based, comparative effectiveness analysis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 92: 307-316
- Higher versus standard preoperative radiation in the trimodality treatment of stage IIIa lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 100 (discussion 13–4): 207-213
- Stage IIIA non-small cell lung cancer: morbidity and mortality of three distinct multimodality regimens.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 1708-1716
- Impact of intensity-modulated radiation therapy technique for locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A secondary analysis of the NRG Oncology RTOG 0617 randomized clinical trial.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 56-62
Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ, Kim AW, Tanoue LT. The eighth edition lung cancer stage classification. Chest. 2017;151:193-203.
- The pathologist and the residual tumor (R) classification.Pathol Res Pract. 1994; 190: 115-123
- Dosimetric advantages of intensity modulated radiation therapy in locally advanced lung cancer.Adv Radiat Oncol. 2017; 2: 6-11
- Advanced radiation techniques for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer: intensity-modulated radiation therapy and proton therapy.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10: S2474-S2491
- Long-term clinical outcome of intensity-modulated radiotherapy for inoperable non-small cell lung cancer: the MD Anderson experience.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 332-339
- Influence of technologic advances on outcomes in patients with unresectable, locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer receiving concomitant chemoradiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: 775-781
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy may improve local-regional tumor control for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer compared with three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy.Oncologist. 2016; 21: 1530-1537
- Initial evaluation of treatment-related pneumonitis in advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with concurrent chemotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68: 94-102
- Four-year survival with durvalumab after chemoradiotherapy in stage III NSCLC-an update from the PACIFIC trial.J Thorac Oncol. 2021; 16: 860-867
- Etoposide and cisplatin versus paclitaxel and carboplatin with concurrent thoracic radiotherapy in unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter randomized phase III trial.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 777-783
- PROCLAIM: randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed-cisplatin or etoposide-cisplatin plus thoracic radiation therapy followed by consolidation chemotherapy in locally advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 953-962
- Length of hospital stay after craniotomy for tumor: a National Surgical Quality Improvement Program analysis.Neurosurg Focus. 2015; 39: E12
- Nationwide assessment of robotic lobectomy for non-small cell lung cancer.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 103: 1092-1100
- Predictors of prolonged length of stay after lobectomy for lung cancer: a Society of Thoracic Surgeons General Thoracic Surgery Database risk-adjustment model.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85 (discussion 65): 1857-1865
- Prolonged postoperative length of stay is associated with poor overall survival after an esophagectomy for esophageal cancer.J Thorac Dis. 2015; 7: 2018-2023
- Timing of surgery after neoadjuvant chemoradiation in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2017; 12: 314-322
- Overall survival with durvalumab after chemoradiotherapy in stage III NSCLC.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2342-2350
- Durvalumab after chemoradiotherapy in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 1919-1929
- Adjuvant therapy following induction therapy and surgery improves survival in N2-positive non-small cell lung cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2021; 123: 579-586