- •The optimal postoperative clinical target volume in thymomas is not well-defined yet.
- •Significant inter-specialty variability exists in volume delineation of thymomas.
- •Collaboration of a surgeon with a radiation oncologist could improve delineations.
- •Delineation of post-operative thymoma volumes should be performed multidisciplinary.
- Ng S.P.
- Dyer B.A.
- Kalpathy-Cramer J.
- Mohamed A.S.R.
- Awan M.J.
- Gunn G.B.
- et al.
Patients and methods
Declaration of Competing Interest
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Supplementary data 1
- Thymoma: current diagnosis and treatment.Chin Med J. 2013; 126: 2186-2191
- Prognostic factors and long-term results after thymoma resection: a series of 307 patients.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996; 112: 376-384
- The impact of thymoma histotype on prognosis in a worldwide database.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 367-372
- Residual tumor (R) classification and prognosis.Semin Surg Oncol. 1994; 10: 12-20
- Thymic epithelial tumours: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: v40-v55
- Optimal management of thymic malignancies: current perspectives.Cancer Manag Res. 2019; 11: 6803-6814
- Thymoma and radiation therapy: a systematic review of medical treatment.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2013; 13: 759-766
- Radiation Therapy in Thymoma.in: Wenz F. Radiation Oncology. Springer International Publishing, 2018: 1-13
- The role of adjuvant radiation therapy for resected stage III thymoma: a population-based study.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 93: 1822-1829
- The impact of postoperative radiotherapy for thymoma and thymic carcinoma.J Thorac Oncol. 2017; 12: 734-744
- Quantitative assessment of target delineation variability for thymic cancers: Agreement evaluation of a prospective segmentation challenge.J Radiat Oncol. 2016; 5: 55-61
- A prospective in silico analysis of interdisciplinary and interobserver spatial variability in post-operative target delineation of high-risk oral cavity cancers: Does physician specialty matter?.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018; 12: 40-46
- Radiation therapy definitions and reporting guidelines for thymic malignancies.J Thorac Oncol. 2011; 6: S1743-S1748
- Defining the tumour and target volumes for radiotherapy.Cancer Imaging. 2004; 4: 153-161
- The 2015 who classification of tumors of the thymus: continuity and changes.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 1383-1395
- Iaslc/itmig staging system and lymph node map for thymic epithelial neoplasms.RadioGraphics. 2017; 37: 758-776
- Interobserver variability in delineation of target volumes in head and neck cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2019; 137: 9-15
- A quantitative comparison of the performance of three deformable registration algorithms in radiotherapy.Z Med Phys. 2013; 23: 279-290
Black PE. Dictionary of algorithms and data structures [online] 2004 [accessed: June 21st 2021). Hausdorff distance Available from: http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/hausdorffdst.html.
- Thymoma: Results of treatment and role of radiotherapy.Rep Pract Oncol Radiother. 2010; 15: 15-20
- Malignant thymoma: Long-term outcomes with radiotherapy.Genomic Med Biomark Health Sci. 2011; 3: 111-118
- The impact of gross tumor volume (GTV) and clinical target volume (CTV) definition on the total accuracy in radiotherapy theoretical aspects and practical experiences.Strahlenther Onkol. 2003; 179: 21-30
- Thymoma: results of 241 operated cases.Ann Thorac Surg. 1991; 51: 152-156
- Thirty-five-year follow-up analysis of clinical and pathologic outcomes of thymoma surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 245-252
- Tumor delineation: The weakest link in the search for accuracy in radiotherapy.J Med Phys. 2008; 33: 136-140
- Uncertainties in target volume delineation in radiotherapy - are they relevant and what can we do about them?.Radiol Oncol. 2016; 50: 254-262
- The impact of training and professional collaboration on the interobserver variation of lung cancer delineations: a multi-institutional study.Acta Oncol. 2019; 58: 200-208
- A review of interventions to reduce inter-observer variability in volume delineation in radiation oncology.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2016; 60: 393-406
- Radiorythmic: phase iii, opened, randomized study of postoperative radiotherapy versus surveillance in stage iib/iii of masaoka koga thymoma after complete surgical resection.Clin Lung Cancer. 2021;
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy