- •Risk of second malignancy (SM) with hypofractionated prostate RT or SBRT is unknown.
- •Probabilities of SM after prostate cancer treatments were derived from NCDB.
- •Probability of SM was similar between SBRT and radical prostatectomy.
- •Probability of SM was lower with SBRT compared to other radiation modalities.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term outcomes of stereotactic body radiotherapy for low-risk and intermediate-risk prostate cancer.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.8006
- Intensity-modulated fractionated radiotherapy versus stereotactic body radiotherapy for prostate cancer (PACE-B): acute toxicity findings from an international, randomised, open-label, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30569-8
- Ultra-hypofractionated versus conventionally fractionated radiotherapy for prostate cancer: 5-year outcomes of the HYPO-RT-PC randomised, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31131-6
- Trends in the use of stereotactic body radiotherapy for treatment of prostate cancer in the United States.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.20471
- Second primary cancers after radiation for prostate cancer: a systematic review of the clinical data and impact of treatment technique.Radiother Oncol. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2013.12.012
- The rate of secondary malignancies after radical prostatectomy versus external beam radiation therapy for localized prostate cancer: a population-based study on 17,845 patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.02.011
- External beam radiotherapy increases the risk of bladder cancer when compared with radical prostatectomy in patients affected by prostate cancer: a population-based analysis.Eur Urol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2018.09.034
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer increases subsequent risk of bladder and rectal cancer: a population based cohort study.J Urol. 2008; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2008.07.038
- Second malignancies after radiotherapy for prostate cancer: Systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i851
- Increased risk of rectal cancer after prostate radiation: a population-based study.Gastroenterology. 2005; https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.12.038
- Cancer incidence after localized therapy for prostate cancer.Cancer. 2006; https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22083
- Colon and anorectal cancer after pelvic irradiation.Dis Colon Rectum. 1987; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02554284
- Biochemical outcome after radical prostatectomy, external beam radiation therapy, or interstitial radiation therapy for clinically localized prostate cancer.J Am Med Assoc. 1998; 280: 969-974https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.280.11.969
- Prostate cancer, Version 2.2019, NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019; https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2019.0023
Dee EC, Arega MA, Yang DD, et al. Disparities in refusal of locoregional treatment for prostate adenocarcinoma. JCO Oncol Pract. Published online 2021.
- Factors influencing non-completion of radiotherapy among men with localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.11.064
- Second cancer risk after primary cancer treatment with three-dimensional conformal, intensity-modulated, or proton beam radiation therapy.Cancer. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.32938
- Using the national cancer database for outcomes research a review.JAMA Oncol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.6905
- Understanding propensity score analyses.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.02.638
- Is there an increased risk of second primaries following prostate irradiation?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(97)00570-1
- Second primary cancer after treatment for cervical cancer. An international cancer registries study.Cancer. 1995; https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950801)76:3<442::AID-CNCR2820760315>3.0.CO;2-L
- Emergence of stereotactic body radiation therapy and its impact on current and future clinical practice.J Clin Oncol. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2014.55.4675
- Implementation of hypofractionated prostate radiation therapy in the United States: A National Cancer Database analysis.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2017.03.011
- Radiation-induced second primary cancer risks from modern external beam radiotherapy for early prostate cancer: Impact of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR), volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) and flattening filter free (FFF) radiotherapy.Phys Med Biol. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/60/3/1237
- Hypofractionated radiotherapy has the potential for second cancer reduction.Theor Biol Med Model. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4682-7-4
- Imaging doses and secondary cancer risk from kilovoltage cone-beam ct in radiation therapy.Health Phys. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1097/HP.0b013e318285c685
- Secondary cancers after intensity-modulated radiotherapy, brachytherapy and radical prostatectomy for the treatment of prostate cancer: Incidence and cause-specific survival outcomes according to the initial treatment intervention.BJU Int. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11385.x