- •12 year results confirm HDR boost improves prostate cancer relapse free survival.
- •No difference in overall survival is seen.
- •No excess toxicity is seen in the HDR boost arm.
Background and purpose
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Update of Dutch multicenter dose-escalation trial of radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 72: 980-988
- Escalated-dose versus standard-dose conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer: first results from the MRC RT01 randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 475-487
- Long-term results of the M. D. Anderson randomized dose-escalation trial for prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 67-74
- Comparison of conventional-dose vs high-dose conformal radiation therapy in clinically localized adenocarcinoma of the prostate: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1233-1239
- Is high dose rate brachytherapy reliable and effective treatment for prostate cancer patients? A review of the literature.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2015; 94: 360-370
- High-dose-rate brachytherapy as monotherapy for prostate cancer.Brachytherapy. 2014; 13: 529-541
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria high-dose-rate brachytherapy for prostate cancer.Brachytherapy. 2014; 13: 27-31
- HDR Prostate Brachytherapy.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2019; 30: 49-60
- Dose escalation improves cancer-related events at 10 years for intermediate- and high-risk prostate cancer patients treated with hypofractionated high-dose-rate boost and external beam radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 363-370
- Dose escalation using conformal high-dose-rate brachytherapy improves outcome in unfavorable prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 53: 316-327
- Randomised trial of external beam radiotherapy alone or combined with high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost for localised prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2012; 103: 217-222
- High dose rate brachytherapy in combination with external beam radiotherapy in the radical treatment of prostate cancer: initial results of a randomised phase three trial.Radiother Oncol. 2007; 84: 114-120
- Quality of life after radical radiotherapy for prostate cancer: longitudinal study from a randomised trial of external beam radiotherapy alone or in combination with high dose rate brachytherapy.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2013; 25: 321-327
- Defining biochemical failure following radiotherapy with or without hormonal therapy in men with clinically localized prostate cancer: recommendations of the RTOG-ASTRO Phoenix Consensus Conference.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 65: 965-974
- The recording of morbidity related to radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 1989; 16: 103-108
- Randomized trial comparing iridium implant plus external-beam radiation therapy with external-beam radiation therapy alone in node-negative locally advanced cancer of the prostate.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 1192-1199
- Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing iridium implant plus external beam radiation therapy with external beam radiation therapy alone in node-negative locally advanced cancer of the prostate.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 99: 90-93
- Two decades of high dose rate brachytherapy with external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 127: 81-87
- High dose rate brachytherapy in high-risk localised disease - why do anything else?.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2020; 32: 163-169
- ASCENDE-RT: an analysis of treatment-related morbidity for a randomized trial comparing a low-dose-rate brachytherapy boost with a dose-escalated external beam boost for high- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 98: 286-295
- External irradiation with or without long-term androgen suppression for prostate cancer with high metastatic risk: 10-year results of an EORTC randomised study.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 1066-1073
- Direct evidence that prostate tumors show high sensitivity to fractionation (low alpha/beta ratio), similar to late-responding normal tissue.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 52: 6-13
- Is alpha/beta for prostate tumors really low?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 50: 1021-1031
- Dose response and fractionation sensitivity of prostate cancer after external beam radiation therapy: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; 100: 858-865