- •This is the first study evaluating HCC guidelines using AGREE II method, from the radiation oncologists’ perspective.
- •In our evaluation, four guidelines from the NCCN, EASL, AASLD, and KLCSG were deemed applicable without modification.
- •All domains except “Scope and Purpose” (63.9%) and “Clarity of Presentation” (65.7%) had median scores <50%, and “Applicability” (36.1%) domain had the lowest score.
- •Future guidelines should emphasize more of “Applicability,” as modern HCC treatment requires multidisciplinary approaches involving up-to-date techniques and systemic agents.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics, 2012.CA: Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 87-108
Kudo M, Kang Y-K, Park J-W, Qin S, Inaba Y, Assenat E, et al. Regional Differences in Efficacy, Safety, and Biomarkers for Second-Line Axitinib in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma: From a Randomized Phase II Study. 2018;7(2):148-64
- Comparison of clinical manifestations and outcomes between hepatitis B virus-and hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: analysis of a nationwide cohort.PLoS One. 2014; 9e112184
- Comparison of hepatocellular carcinoma in E astern versus W estern populations.Cancer. 2016; 122: 3430-3446
- Trends in hepatocellular carcinoma due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 13: 179-187
- Surveillance, diagnosis, treatment, and outcome of liver cancer in Japan.Liver Cancer. 2015; 4: 39-50
- Global patterns of hepatocellular carcinoma management from diagnosis to death.BRIDGE Study. 2015; 35: 2155-2166
- Indications of external radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma from updated clinical guidelines: Diverse global viewpoints.World J Gastroenterol. 2020; 26: 393
- Sorafenib versus Transarterial chemoembolization for advanced-stage hepatocellular carcinoma: a cost-effectiveness analysis.BMC Cancer. 2018; 18: 392
- Clinical practice guidelines we can trust. Institute of Medicine, Shaping the Future for Health.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Recent clinical applications of external beam radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma according to guidelines, major trials and meta-analyses.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1111/1754-9485.12948
- 2018 Korean liver cancer association-national cancer center Korea practice guidelines for the management of hepatocellular carcinoma.Gut and Liver. 2019; 13: 227-299
- Eastern Canadian gastrointestinal cancer consensus conference 2016.Current Oncol. 2016; 23e605
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: consensus, controversies and future directions: a report from the Canadian Association for the Study of the Liver Hepatocellular Carcinoma Meeting.Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 29: 178-184
- Kong consensus statements for the management of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.Liver Cancer. 2018; 7: 40-54
- National cancer centre Singapore consensus guidelines for hepatocellular carcinoma.Liver Cancer. 2016; 5: 97-106
- Hepatocellular and biliary tract carcinomas: SEOM clinical guidelines.Clin Transl Oncol. 2011; 13: 536-544
- Diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Update consensus document from the AEEH, SEOM, SERAM, SERVEI and SETH.Medicina Clínica (English Edition). 2016; 146 (511. e1-. e22)
- EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 182-236
- AASLD guidelines for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 358-380
- Consensus development from the 5th Asia-Pacific primary liver cancer expert meeting (APPLE 2014).Liver Cancer. 2015; 4: 96-105
- The Indian National Association for Study of the Liver (INASL) consensus on prevention, diagnosis and management of hepatocellular carcinoma in India: the Puri recommendations.J Clin Experiment Hepatol. 2014; 4: S3-S26
- Management consensus guideline for hepatocellular carcinoma: 2016 updated by the Taiwan Liver Cancer Association and the Gastroenterological Society of Taiwan.J Formos Med Assoc. 2018; 117: 381-403
- Latin American Association for the Study of the Liver (LAASL) clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.Ann Hepatol. 2014; 13: S4-S40
- Asia-Pacific clinical practice guidelines on the management of hepatocellular carcinoma: a 2017 update.Hep Intl. 2017; 11: 317-370
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: iv238-iv55
- Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of primary liver cancer in China (2017 edition).Liver Cancer. 2018; 7: 235-260
- Radiation-associated liver injury.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: S94-S100
- Application of radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma in current clinical practice guidelines.Radiat Oncol J. 2016; 34: 160-167
- Comparison of radiation therapy modalities for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: A meta-analysis and systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 129: 112-122
- Clinical feasibility and efficacy of stereotactic body radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Radiother Oncol. 2019; 131: 135-144
National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)®. NCCN Guidelines version 1. 2018, hepatobiliary cancers. Available from: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/hepatobiliary.pdf. Accessed April 2, 2018.
- AGREE II: advancing guideline development, reporting and evaluation in health care.CMAJ. 2010; 182: E839-E842
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: one world, one cancer—different guidelines?.Hepatobil Surg Nutr. 2018; 7: 41-43
- Evaluation of the current guidelines for resection of hepatocellular carcinoma using the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation II instrument.J Hepatol. 2017; 67: 991-998
- A concise review of updated guidelines regarding the management of hepatocellular carcinoma around the world: 2010–2016.Clin Mol Hepatol. 2016; 22: 7-17
National Cancer Comprehensive Network. NCCN guidelines version 2.2019, Hepatobiliary cancers. Assessed April 1st, 2019. available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/hepatobiliary.pdf.
Egyptian Society of Liver Cancer. Egyptian Guidelines for Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. 2011. assesed April 2nd, 2019. Available at: http://www.gamalesmat.com/publication/eslc_guidlines_2011.doc.
- Yu Y. Feng M. Radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Seminars in radiation oncology. Elsevier, 2018
- Systematic review of guidelines for management of intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma using the Appraisal of Guidelines Research and Evaluation II instrument.Digestive Liver Disease. 2015; 47: 877-883
- The quality of clinical practice guidelines over the last two decades: a systematic review of guideline appraisal studies.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19e58
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: the BCLC staging classification.Semin Liver Dis. 1999; 19: 329-338
National Cancer Comprehensive Network. NCCN Categories of Evidence and Consensus. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/categories_of_consensus.aspx. Assessed Oct 2nd, 2019.
- Comparison of the current international guidelines on the management of HCC.Jhep Rep. 2019; 1: 114-119
- Quality assessment of clinical practice guidelines on the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma or metastatic liver cancer.PLoS One. 2014; 9e103939
Pocock SJ, Stone GWJNEJoM. The primary outcome is positive—is that good enough? 2016;375(10):971-9.
Agarwal PD, Phillips P, Hillman L, Lucey MR, Lee F, Mezrich JD, et al. Multidisciplinary management of hepatocellular carcinoma improves access to therapy and patient survival. 2017;51(9):845-9.