- •Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) is a cutaneous malignancy with high risk of relapse.
- •The main treatment is surgery plus or minus adjuvant radiotherapy (RT).
- •We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of the benefits of adjuvant RT.
- •There was a significant increase in OS with adjuvant RT (HR = 0.81, P < 0.001).
- •We found that adjuvant RT may improve locoregional control and survival in MCC.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Merkel cell carcinoma: the prognostic implications of an occult primary in stage IIIB (nodal) disease.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012; 67: 395-399https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2011.09.009
- Local control of primary Merkel cell carcinoma: review of 45 cases treated with Mohs micrographic surgery with and without adjuvant radiation.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002; 47: 885-892https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2002.125083
- Adjuvant radiation therapy increases disease-free survival in stage IB Merkel cell carcinoma.Ann Plast Surg. 2014; 73: 531-534https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0b013e31827f4c58
- The role of postoperative radiation and chemoradiation in Merkel cell carcinoma: a systematic review of the literature.Front Oncol. 2013; 3: 1-10https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2013.00276
- Effect of radiation therapy on survival in patients with resected merkel cell carcinoma: a propensity score surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database analysis.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 831-838https://doi.org/10.1001/jamadermatol.2013.409
- Radiation therapy is associated with improved outcomes in Merkel cell carcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3572-3578https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-016-5293-1
- Merkel cell carcinoma: value of sentinel lymph-node status and adjuvant radiation therapy.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 914-919https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdw035
- Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?.Control Clin Trials. 1996; 17: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(95)00134-4
Wells GA, Shea B, O’connell D, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp. Accessed 13 Aug 2014. Ottawa Hosp Res Inst. 2014.
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ Br Med J. 2003; 327: 557-560https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Operating characteristics of a bank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994; 50: 1088-1101https://doi.org/10.2307/2533446
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test measures of funnel plot asymmetry.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Benefits of combined modality treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck: single institution experience.J Laryngol Otol. 2013; 127: 908-916https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215113001862
- Adjuvant radiation therapy and chemotherapy in Merkel cell carcinoma: survival analyses of 6908 cases from the National Cancer Data Base.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016; 108: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djw042
- The role of adjuvant therapy in the management of head and neck Merkel cell carcinoma.JAMA Otolaryngol Neck Surg. 2015; 141: 137https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2014.3052
- Adult height and head and neck cancer: a pooled analysis within the INHANCE Consortium.Head Neck. 2014; 36: 1391https://doi.org/10.1002/HED
- Role of postoperative radiotherapy in the management of Merkel cell carcinoma.Am J Clin Oncol Clin Trials. 2002; 25: 50-56https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-200202000-00011
- Recurrence after complete resection and selective use of adjuvant therapy for stage I through III Merkel cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2012; 118: 3311-3320https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26626
- The essential role of radiotherapy in the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma: a study from the rare cancer network.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: 583-591https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.05.028
- Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 1994; 19: 222-229https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.21787
- Merkel cell carcinoma: an Australian perspective and the importance of addressing the regional lymph nodes in clinically node-negative patients.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012; 67: 33-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2011.07.029
- Merkel cell carcinoma: assessing the effect of wide local excision, lymph node dissection, and radiotherapy on recurrence and survival in early-stage disease – results from a review of 82 consecutive cases diagnosed between 1992 and 2004.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007; 14: 1943-1952https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-006-9327-y
- Adjuvant prophylactic regional radiotherapy versus observation in stage I merkel cell carcinoma: a multicentric prospective randomized study.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 1074-1080https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr318
- Radiotherapy is associated with significant improvement in local and regional control in Merkel cell carcinoma.Radiat Oncol. 2012; 7: 171https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717X-7-171
- The importance of postoperative radiation therapy in the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma.Pergamon l Clin Orig Contrib Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 31: 325-331https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(94)E0145-A
- Adjuvant radiation therapy is associated with improved survival in merkel cell carcinoma of the skin.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1043-1047https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.9319
- The essential role of radiation therapy in securing locoregional control of Merkel cell carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1990; 19: 583-591
- Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin: a retrospective study of 24 cases by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group.Oncology. 2008; 72: 211-218https://doi.org/10.1159/000112944
- Factors influencing relapse-free survival in Merkel cell carcinoma of the lower limb-a review of 60 cases.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: 393-397https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.02.014
- Epidemiology and survival of Merkel cell carcinoma in the Netherlands. A population-based study of 808 cases in 1993–2007.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 579-585https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.11.002
- a-Catenin is a significant prognostic factor than E-cadherin in esophogeal squamous cell carcinoma.J Surg Oncol. 2007; 95: 148-155https://doi.org/10.1002/jso
- Postoperative radiation therapy is associated with a reduced risk of local recurrence among low risk Merkel cell carcinomas of the head and neck.Adv Radiat Oncol. 2016; 1: 244-251https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adro.2016.10.003
- Prognostic factors in Merkel cell carcinoma: analysis of 240 cases.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 68: 425-432https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2012.09.036
- Prognostic factors in Merkel cell carcinoma: a retrospective single-center study in 90 patients.Cancers (Basel). 2018; 10: 350https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers10100350
- Merkel cell carcinoma: clinical outcome and prognostic factors in 351 patients.J Surg Oncol. December 2017; 2018: 1768-1775https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.25090
Wazen RM, Kuroda S, Nishio C, Sellin K, Brunski JB, Nanci A. NIH Public Access. 2014;8(9):1385-1395. doi: 10.2217/nnm.12.167.Gene.
- Diagnosis and treatment of Merkel Cell Carcinoma. European consensus-based interdisciplinary guideline.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 2396-2403https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2015.06.131
- Factors influencing radiation treatment recommendations in early-stage Merkel cell carcinoma: a survey of US-based radiation oncologists.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017; 17: 281-287https://doi.org/10.1080/14737140.2017.1285233
- Adjuvant radiation therapy improves patient survival in early-stage merkel cell carcinoma: a 15-year single-institution study.Laryngoscope. 2018; 128: 1862-1866https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.27031
- Radiotherapy and conservative surgery in the locoregional management of merkel cell carcinoma: the British Columbia Cancer Agency Experience.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 573-578https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-015-4812-9
- Regional nodal relapse in surgically staged Merkel cell carcinoma.Strahlenther Onkol. 2015; 191: 51-58https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-014-0756-4