- •Single (SFRT) and short course multifraction (MFRT) regimens for spinal cord compression were compared in a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- •There was no observed difference with respect to motor response, bladder dysfunction and OS between SFRT and MFRT for MESCC, based on moderate quality evidence.
- •Firm conclusions cannot be drawn for SFRT versus MFRT in terms of pain control, QOL or toxicity.
- •Future investigations should focus on these outcomes and treatment for patients with a better expected prognosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A 2011 updated systematic review and clinical practice guideline for the management of malignant extradural spinal cord compression.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 312-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2012.01.014
- Systematic review of the diagnosis and management of malignant extradural spinal cord compression: the Cancer Care Ontario Practice Guidelines initiative‘s neuro-oncology disease site group.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2028-2037
- Direct decompressive surgical resection in the treatment of spinal cord compression caused by metastatic cancer: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 643-648
- Radiotherapy with 4 Gy x 5 versus 3Gy x 10 for metastatic epidural spinal cord compression: final results of the SCORE-2 trial (ARO 2009/01).JCO. 2016; 34: 597-603
- Evaluation of five radiation schedules and prognostic factors for metastatic spinal cord compression.J Clin Oncol. 2005 May 20; 23: 3366-3375
- Dose escalation of radiotherapy for Metastatic Spinal Cord Compression (MSCC) in patients with relatively favorable survival prognosis.Strahlenther Onkol. 2011; 187: 729-735
- Comparison of short course radiotherapy versus long-course radiotherapy for treatment of metastatic spinal cord compression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94 (Published online 2015 Oct 30)https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001843
- Single-fraction versus 5-fraction radiation therapy for metastatic epidural spinal cord compression in patients with limited survival prognoses: results of a matched-pair analysis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 368-372
- 8 Gy single-dose radiotherapy is effective in metastatic spinal cord compression: results of a phase III randomized multicentre Italian trial.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 93: 174-179
- ICORG 05-03: prospective randomized non-inferiority phase 3 trial comparing two radiation schedules in malignant spinal cord compression not proceeding with surgical decompression.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 1263-1264
- (ICORG 05-03): prospective randomized non-inferiority phase III trial comparing two radiation schedules in malignant spinal cord compression (not proceeding with surgical decompression); the quality of life analysis.Acta Oncol. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2018.1433320
- SCORAD III: Randomized non-inferiority phase III trial of single-dose radiotherapy (RT) compared to multi-fraction RT in patients with metastatic spinal cord compression (SCC).JCO. 2017; 35 (published online before print)https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.35.18_suppl.LBA10004
- Validation of a score predicting post-treatment ambulatory status after radiotherapy for metastatic spinal cord compression.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 1503-1506
- Validation and simplification of a score predicting survival in patients irradiated for metastatic spinal cord compression.Cancer. 2010; 116: 3670-3673
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 (Available from)
Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Version 4.3. US Department of Health, National Institutes of Health and National Cancer Institute. 2010. Published online: https://evs.nci.nih.gov/ftp1/CTCAE/CTCAE_4.03_2010-0614_QuickReference_8.5x11.pdf.
- Reliability analysis of epidural spinal cord compression scale.J Neurosurg spine. 2010; 13: 324-328
Review Manager (RevMan), [Computer program]. Version 5.3 Copenhagen: The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2014
GetData Graph Digitizer software. Cologne, Germany. (2018). Downloaded from: http://getdata-graph-digitizer.com/downloads.php April 18 2018.
- Practical methods for incorporating summary time-to-event data in a meta-analysis.Trials. 2007; 7: 8-16
Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT, Altman DG (ed.). Chapter 9: Analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses. Section 188.8.131.52. In: Higgins JPT, Green S (ed.). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.0.2 (updated September 2009). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2009. Available from www.cochranehandbook.org.
GRADEpro GDT: GRADEpro Guideline Development Tool [Software]. McMaster University, 2015 (developed by Evidence Prime, Inc.). Available from gradepro.org.
- Effectiveness of radiotherapy for metastatic spinal cord compression in patients with short life expectancy.Rep Pract Oncol Radiother. 2017; 22: 58-63
Nguyen J, Chow E, Zeng L et al. Palliative response and functional interference outcomes using the Brief Pain Inventory for spinal bony metastases treated with conventional radiotherapy. Clin Oncol 23(7):485-491.
- 8 Gy single fraction radiotherapy for the treatment of metastatic skeletal pain: randomised comparison with a multifraction schedule over 12 months of patient follow-up.Radiother Oncol. 1999; 52: 111-121
- Radiotherapy or surgery for spine metastases?.Acta Orthop. 2011; 82: 365-371
- Final results of a prospective study comparing the local control of short-course and long-course radiotherapy for metastatic spinal cord compression.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 524-530
- Contemporary treatment with radiosurgery for spine metastasis and spinal cord compression in 2015.Radiat Oncol. 2015; 33: 1-11
- A meta-analysis of surgery versus conventional radiotherapy for the treatment of metastatic spinal epidural disease.Neuro-Oncology. 2005; 7: 64-76
- The reliability of red flags in spinal cord compression.Acute Trauma. 2014; 3: e78150https://doi.org/10.5812/atr.17850
- Should unpublished data be included in meta-analysis? Current convictions and controversies.JAMA. 1993; 269: 2749-2753
Tetzlaff J, Moher D, Pham B, et al. Survey of views on including grey literature in systematic reviews. In: Come to the craic. Abstracts of the 14th Cochrane Colloquium; 2006. 23–26 Oct; Dublin, UK. 2006.
- A systematic review of prognostic factors predicting survival in patients with spinal bone metastasis.Eur Spine J. 2018; 27: 799-805
- An integrated multidisciplinary algorithm for the management of spinal metastasis: an International Spine Oncology Consortium report.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: E720-E730
- International patterns of practice in palliative radiotherapy for painful bone metastasis: evidence-based practice?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 75: 1501-1510
- International variations in radiotherapy fractionation for bone metastasis: geographic borders define practice patterns?.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2009; 21: 655-658