- •CPT offers favorable dose distribution due to the physical properties of charged particles. This can potentially lead to high efficacy with low treatment morbidity.
- •In this review we summarized 16 studies, 17 cohorts and 1516 patients treated for HCC with CPT, with following findings:
- •Mean weighted overall survival across studies was 86%, 62%, 59% and 35% at 1, 2, 3 and 5 years, respectively. Mean weighted local control was 86%, 89%, 87% and 89% at 1, 2, 3 and 5 years, respectively.
- •Adjusted morbidity rates were: 54% for acute G1-2 toxicities and 6% for acute ≥G3 toxicities; 9% for late G1-2 toxicities and less than 4% for late ≥G3 toxicities.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018; 69 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2018.03.019): 182-236
- Ablative stereotactic radiotherapy for oligometastatic colorectal cancer: systematic review.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2018;
- Relative biological effectiveness in proton beam therapy – Current knowledge and future challenges.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2018; 9 (Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S2405630818300028): 35-41
- “Radiobiology of Proton Therapy”: results of an international expert workshop.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 128 (Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0167814018302779): 56-67
- Charged-Particle Therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2011; 21 (Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S105342961100049X): 278-286
- RBE and related modeling in carbon-ion therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2017; 63 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28976361): 01TR02
- Normal liver tissue sparing by intensity-modulated proton stereotactic body radiotherapy for solitary liver tumours.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2011; 50 (Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/0284186X.2011.590526): 823-828
- Clinical results of fractionated proton therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1993; 25: 49-60
- A systematic review of publications on charged particle therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Int J Clin Oncol. 2017; 23 (Available from http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10147-017-1190-2): 423-433
- Is there a role for proton therapy in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma? A systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 111 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24560761): 1-10
- Charged particle therapy versus photon therapy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 114 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25497556): 289-295
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for colorectal lung oligometastases: preliminary single-institution results.J BUON. 2015; 20: 158-165
- Stereotactic ablative radiation therapy as first local therapy for lung oligometastases from colorectal cancer: a single-institution cohort study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 524-529
- Carbon ion radiotherapy for 80 years or older patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2017; 17 (Available from: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85033390318&doi=10.1186%2Fs12885-017-3724-4&partnerID=40&md5=7f670396102818b8ff429a65384c4b95): 721
- Clinical results and risk factors of proton and carbon ion therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer. 2011; 117: 4890-4904
- Initial clinical outcomes of proton beam radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Radiat Oncol J. 2018; 36: 25-34
- Proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma adjacent to the gastrointestinal tract without fiducial markers.Cancers (Basel). 2018; 10
- Effectiveness of particle radiotherapy in various stages of hepatocellular carcinoma: a Pilot study.Liver Cancer. 2018; (Available from: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85044084771&doi=10.1159%2F000487311&partnerID=40&md5=4248b19e35948293f76cf481fdca37e5)
- Examination of GyE system for HIMAC carbon therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol. 2006; 64 (Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0360301605027264): 650-656
Spychalski P. Study materials for: “Patient specific outcomes of a charged particle therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma – a systematic review quantitative analysis.” [Internet]. 2018. Available from: 10.17605/OSF.IO/5NRV4.
- Proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective review of 162 patients cancer therapy: clinical proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective review of 162 patients.Clin Cancer Res. 2005; 11: 3799-3805
- Proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma adjacent to the porta hepatis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 71: 462-467
- The safety and efficacy of high-dose proton beam radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase 2 prospective trial.Cancer. 2011; 117: 3053-3059
- Dose-volume histogram analysis of the safety of proton beam therapy for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 1479-1486
- Effectiveness and safety of proton beam therapy for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombosis.Strahlenther Onkol. 2014; 190: 806-814
- A prospective feasibility study of respiratory gated proton beam therapy for liver tumors.Pr Radiat Oncol. 2014; 4 (Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4327929/pdf/nihms-531236.pdf): 316-322
- Risk-adapted simultaneous integrated boost-proton beam therapy (SIB-PBT) for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma with tumour vascular thrombosis.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 122 (Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.12.014): 122-1229
- Clinical results of proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma over 5 cm.Hepatol Res. 2017; 47: 1368-1374
- The effectiveness of particle radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma associated with inferior vena cava tumor thrombus.J Gastroenterol. 2011; 46: 913-920
- Results of the first prospective study of carbon ion radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with liver cirrhosis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 59: 1468-1476
- Progressive hypofractionated carbon-ion radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: combined analyses of 2 prospective trials.Cancer. 2017; : 3955-3965
- Local effect of stereotactic body radiotherapy for primary and metastatic liver tumors in 130 Japanese patients.Radiat Oncol. 2014; 9 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24886477): 112
- The challenge of inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): results of a single-institutional experience on stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015; 141 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25644863): 1301-1409
- High-dose stereotactic body radiotherapy correlates increased local control and overall survival in patients with inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma.Radiat Oncol. 2013; 8 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24160944): 250
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: prognostic factors of local control, overall survival, and toxicity. Villa E, editor.PLoS One. 2013; 8 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24147002): e77472
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer. 2005; 103 (Available from: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1002/cncr.20892): 1201-1209
- Cost-utility of stereotactic radiation therapy versus proton beam therapy for inoperable advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 75568-75576
- Sequential phase I and II trials of stereotactic body radiotherapy for locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23547075): 1631-1639
- Comparison of radiation therapy modalities for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: a meta-analysis and systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2017; (Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167814017327305)
- Risk factors for survival and local recurrence after particle radiotherapy for single small hepatocellular carcinoma.Br J Surg. 2011; 98: 558-564