- •Our meta-analysis showed potent tumor controllability and feasibility of SBRT for HCCs.
- •Local control was excellent for small tumors (<5 cm) up to 3-years (87% 2 years, 86% at 3 years).
- •SBRT showed moderate efficacy for larger tumors (>5cm), which is beyond the indication of RFA.
- •Tumor control persisted but overall survival declined up to 3-years, which necessitates future studies of SBRT combined with systemic treatment.
- •This study is the most updated and largest meta-analysis of SBRT for HCCs.
Background and purpose
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2011; 61: 69-90
- Selection criteria for liver resection in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and chronic liver disease.World J Gastroenterol WJG. 2008; 14: 3452
- Murray L.J. Dawson L.A. Advances in stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Seminars in radiation oncology. Elsevier, 2017
Fu C, Liu N, Deng Q, Li X, Ma K, Bie P. Radiofrequency ablation vs. surgical resection on the treatment of patients with small hepatocellular carcinoma: a system review and meta-analysis of five randomized controlled trials; 2014.
- Survival comparison between surgical resection and radiofrequency ablation for patients in BCLC very early/early stage hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 412-418
- Percutaneous cooled-probe microwave versus radiofrequency ablation in early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase III randomised controlled trial.Gut. 2017; 66: 1172-1173
- microwave ablation and radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: Result of the first prospective randomized controlled trial: pd-014.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 6
- Comparable survival in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma treated by radiofrequency ablation or transarterial chemoembolization.Arch Surg. 2006; 141: 1231-1236
- Small single-nodule hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of transarterial chemoembolization, radiofrequency ablation, and hepatic resection by using inverse probability weighting.Radiology. 2014; 271: 909-918
- Comparison of radiofrequency ablation and transarterial chemoembolization for the treatment of a single hepatocellular carcinoma smaller than 4 cm.Korean J Hepatol. 2009; 15: 474-485
- Tolerance of normal tissue to therapeutic irradiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1991; 21: 109-122
- Challenge and hope in radiotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma.Yonsei Med J. 2009; 50: 601-612
- Stereotactic high dose fraction radiation therapy of extracranial tumors using an accelerator: clinical experience of the first thirty-one patients.Acta Oncol. 1995; 34: 861-870
- Sequential phase I and II trials of stereotactic body radiotherapy for locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 1631-1639
- Treatment variables related to liver toxicity in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, Child-Pugh class A and B enrolled in a phase 1–2 trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2015; 5: e443-e449
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma as a local salvage treatment after incomplete transarterial chemoembolization.Cancer. 2012; 118: 5424-5431
- The challenge of inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): results of a single-institutional experience on stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015; 141: 1301-1309
- Role of stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.World J Gastroenterol WJG. 2014; 20: 3100
- Microwave ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncology. 2007; 72: 124-131
- Complications of thermal ablation of hepatic tumours: comparison of radiofrequency and microwave ablative techniques.Clin Radiol. 2013; 68: 608-615
- Charged particle therapy versus photon therapy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 114: 289-295
- Local control after stereotactic body radiation therapy for liver tumors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018;
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses.Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, oxford2014 (ASp; 2015)
- Random-effects model for meta-analysis of clinical trials: an update.Contemp Clin Trials. 2007; 28: 105-114
- The combination of estimates from different experiments.Biometrics. 1954; 10: 101-129
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test – Reply.Brit Med J. 1998; 316: 470-471
- Trim and fill: a simple funnel-plot-based method of testing and adjusting for publication bias in meta-analysis.Biometrics. 2000; 56: 455-463
- Long-term effect of stereotactic body radiation therapy for primary hepatocellular carcinoma ineligible for local ablation therapy or surgical resection. Stereotactic radiotherapy for liver cancer.BMC Cancer. 2010; 10
- Is higher dose always the right answer in stereotactic body radiation therapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma?.J Korean Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 2018; 36
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy as an alternative treatment for small hepatocellular.Carcinoma. Plos One. 2013; 8
- Intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma complicating cirrhosis.Ann Surg. 1991; 214: 114-117
- Long-term results of resection for large hepatocellular carcinoma: a multivariate analysis of clinicopathological features.Hepatology. 1990; 11: 815-818
- Macroscopic portal vein thrombosis in HCC patients.Can J Gastroenterol. 2018;
- Prognostic factors for portal venous invasion in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.J Gastroenterol. 2006; 41: 1214-1219
- Radiofrequency ablation versus hepatic resection for small hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014; 48: 450-457
- Radiofrequency ablation versus resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with Child-Pugh A liver cirrhosis: a meta-analysis.Clin Radiol. 2017; 72: 1066-1075
- Small hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis: randomized comparison of radio-frequency thermal ablation versus percutaneous ethanol injection.Radiology. 2003; 228: 235-240
- Adverse events during radiofrequency treatment of 582 hepatic tumors.Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 181: 695-700
- Major complications after radio-frequency thermal ablation of hepatic tumors: spectrum of imaging findings.Radiographics. 2003; 23: 123-134
- Outcomes after stereotactic body radiotherapy or radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 452
- Survival analysis of single large (>5 cm) hepatocellular carcinoma patients: BCLC A versus B.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0165722
- High-dose stereotactic body radiotherapy correlates increased local control and overall survival in patients with inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma.Radiat Oncol. 2013; 8: 250
- Comparison of radiation therapy modalities for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: A meta-analysis and systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2017;
- Radiation-induced liver disease after stereotactic body radiotherapy for small hepatocellular carcinoma: clinical and dose-volumetric parameters.Radiat Oncol. 2013; 8: 249
- Phase I dose-escalation study of helical intensity-modulated radiotherapy-based stereotactic body radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 40756
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for primary hepatic malignancies–Report of a phase I/II institutional study.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 121: 79-85
- The pathophysiology of thrombocytopenia in chronic liver disease.Hepat Med. 2016; 8: 39-50
- Lymphopenia association with gross tumor volume and lung V5 and its effects on non-small cell lung cancer patient outcomes.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 89: 1084-1091
- Clinical and dosimetric predictors of acute severe lymphopenia during radiation therapy and concurrent temozolomide for high-grade glioma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 92: 1000-1007
- Defective thymopoiesis and poor peripheral homeostatic replenishment of T-helper cells cause T-cell lymphopenia in cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2013; 59: 723-730
- EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018;
NCCN guidelines version 2.2018, hepatobiliary cancers. Accessed 2018 July 1st. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/hepatobiliary.pdf.
- Consensus for radiotherapy in hepatocellular carcinoma from the 5th Asia-pacific primary liver cancer expert meeting (APPLE 2014): current practice and future clinical trials.Liver Cancer. 2016; 5: 162-174
- Consensus on stereotactic body radiation therapy for small-sized hepatocellular carcinoma at the 7th Asia-Pacific primary liver cancer expert meeting.Liver Cancer. 2017; 6: 264-274
- Regorafenib for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who progressed on sorafenib treatment (RESORCE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 56-66
- Nivolumab in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (CheckMate 040): an open-label, non-comparative, phase 1/2 dose escalation and expansion trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2492-2502
- Cabozantinib (C) versus placebo (P) in patients (pts) with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) who have received prior sorafenib: Results from the randomized phase III CELESTIAL trial.Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2018;
- Ramucirumab versus placebo as second-line treatment in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma following first-line therapy with sorafenib (REACH): a randomised, double-blind, multicentre, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 859-870
- Traditional reviews, meta-analyses and pooled analyses in epidemiology.Int J Epidemiol. 1999; 28: 1-9
National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). NCCN Levels of Evidence and Consensus for Recommendations. accessed Aug 21th, 2018. available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/development.aspx.
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012