- •Adjuvant RT for non-rectal colon cancer is controversial, due to limited data.
- •We used the SEER database to examine survival for T4 disease after adjuvant RT.
- •We found a significant improvement in cause-specific survival with this treatment.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Radiotherapy and Oncology
National Cancer Institute. Cancer Stat Facts: Colon and Rectum Cancer. https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html. Published 2018. [Accessed 1 May 2018].
- The TME trial after a median follow-up of 6 years.Ann Surg. 2007; 246: 693-701https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000257358.56863.ce
- Randomized trial of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy with or without radiotherapy for carcinoma of the rectum: national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol R-02.JNCI. 2000; 92
- Swedish rectal cancer trial: Long lasting benefits from radiotherapy on survival and local recurrence rate.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 5644-5650https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.08.144
- Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy or radiation therapy for rectal cancer: results from NSABP protocol R-01.JNCI. 1988; 80: 21-29
- Adjuvant postoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapy in rectal carcinoma: a review of the Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group experience.Radiother Oncol. 1988; 13: 245-252
NCCN.org. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines) Rectal Cancer. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/rectal.pdf. Published 2018. [Accessed 30 August 2018].
- Immunohistochemistry of colorectal carcinoma: current practice and evolving applications.Hum Pathol. 2013; 44: 151-163
- Phase III study of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation therapy compared with chemotherapy alone in the surgical adjuvant treatment of colon cancer: results of intergroup protocol 0130.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 3277-3283https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.01.029
- The treatment of locally advanced colon cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 37: 51-58
- Does postoperative irradiation play a role in the adjuvant therapy of stage T4 colon cancer?.Cancer J Sci Am. 1999; 5: 242-247
- Role of adjuvant radiotherapy in locally advanced colonic carcinoma in the modern chemotherapy era.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 856-862https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-015-4907-3
NCCN.org. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines) Colon Cancer. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/colon.pdf. Published 2017. [Accessed 12 August 2017].
- Failure patterns following curative resection of colonic carcinoma.Ann Surg. 1984; 200: 685-690https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-198412000-00001
- Randomized phase 3 trial comparing preoperative and postoperative chemoradiotherapy with capecitabine for locally advanced rectal cancer.Cancer. 2011; 117: 3703-3712https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25943
- Optimal fractionation of preoperative radiotherapy and timing to surgery for rectal cancer (Stockholm III): a multicentre, randomised, non-blinded, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 336-346https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30086-4
- Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer: Results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-94 randomized phase III trial after a median follow-up of 11 years.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1926-1933https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.40.1836
- Prospective pooled analysis of six phase III trials investigating duration of adjuvant (adjuv) oxaliplatin-based therapy (3 vs 6 months) for patients (pts) with stage III colon cancer (CC): The IDEA (International Duration Evaluation of Adjuvant chemother.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35(suppl):abstr LBA1