- •In 2016, 1860 pediatric patients were treated with protons in 40 centers.
- •The median number of pediatric patients per center is 29, but it widely varies.
- •CNS tumors were the cancer types most commonly treated in all continents.
- •The proportion of extra-cranial tumors is growing worldwide.
- •About half of the patients were treated with pencil beam scanning.
Materials & methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Number of patients potentially eligible for proton therapy.Acta Oncol. 2005; 44: 836-849
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Tobacco smoking In: Personal habits and indoor combustions. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans, vol. 100E. IARC: Lyon, France; 2012;1:43–212.
- Role of radiation dose in the risk of secondary leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood treated between 1980 and 1999.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 1474-1482
- Risk of subsequent leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood: impact of bone marrow radiation therapy and chemotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 658-667
- Recommendations for the referral of patients for proton-beam therapy, an Alberta Health Services report: a model for Canada?.Curr Oncol. 2014; 21: 251-262
- Breast cancer following Hodgkin's Disease: the experience of the University of Florence.Breast J. 2010; 16: 290-296
- A dosimetric comparison of proton and intensity modulated radiation therapy in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma patients enrolled on a prospective phase II proton study.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 113: 77-83
- Consensus report from the stockholm pediatric proton therapy conference.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 96: 387-392
- Proton therapy for pediatric malignancies: Fact, figures and costs. A joint consensus statement from the pediatric subcommittee of PTCOG, PROS and EPTN.Radiother Oncol. 2018;
- Preliminary results of a phase II trial of proton radiotherapy for pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3762-3770
- Long-term toxic effects of proton radiotherapy for paediatric medulloblastoma: a phase 2 single-arm study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 287-298
- Proton therapy in children: a systematic review of clinical effectiveness in 15 pediatric cancers.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 95: 267-278
- Incidence of second malignancies among patients treated with proton versus photon radiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 87: 46-52
- Second nonocular tumors among survivors of retinoblastoma treated with contemporary photon and proton radiotherapy.Cancer. 2014; 120: 126-133
- Early cognitive outcomes following proton radiation in pediatric patients with brain and central nervous system tumors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 400-407
- Proton beam therapy for pediatric malignancies: a retrospective observational multicenter study in Japan.Cancer Med. 2016; 5: 1519-1525
- Increased risk of breast cancer in splenectomized patients undergoing radiation therapy for Hodgkin's disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 37: 405-409
- An update from the pediatric proton consortium registry.Front Oncol. 2018; 8: 165
- A Clarion call for large-scale collaborative studies of pediatric proton therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 98: 980-981
- Pediatric proton therapy: patterns of care across the United States.Int J Particle Ther. 2014; 1: 357-367
- Organization of the pediatric radiation oncology in France.Cancer Radiother. 2009; 13: 525-526
- Proton beam therapy in Japan: current and future status.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2016; 46: 885-892
Alapetite C, Timmermann B, Weber DC, Harrabi S, Ondrova B, Nilsson K, et al. Proton beam therapy for children: current practice in Europe. In: Ther IJP, editor. 55th annual meeting of the particle therapy cooperative group (PTCOG). Prague, Czech Republic; 2016. p. 75.
- The volume effect in paediatric oncology: a systematic review.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 1749-1753
- Postoperative radiotherapy patterns of care and survival implications for medulloblastoma in young children.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 1574-1581
- Assessing the radiation-induced second cancer risk in proton therapy for pediatric brain tumors: the impact of employing a patient-specific aperture in pencil beam scanning.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61: 12-22
- Relative biological effectiveness (RBE) values for proton beam therapy. Variations as a function of biological endpoint, dose, and linear energy transfer.Phys Med Biol. 2014; 59: R419-R472
- Proceedings of the National Cancer Institute Workshop on charged particle radiobiology.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; 100: 816-831
- Influence of beam incidence and irradiation parameters on stray neutron doses to healthy organs of pediatric patients treated for an intracranial tumor with passive scattering proton therapy.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 590-599
- Measurements of the neutron dose equivalent for various radiation qualities, treatment machines and delivery techniques in radiation therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2014; 59: 2457-2468