- •Observational study of 10-year survival in high-risk Prostate Cancer (PCa) after High-Dose-Rate brachytherapy combined with External Beam Radiation Therapy (HDR-BT/EBRT) compared to EBRT alone.
- •The combined HDR-BT/EBRT treatment was found to give a 3.6-fold decrease in Prostate Cancer Specific Mortality (PCSM) and a 1.6-fold decrease in Overall Mortality (OM).
- •Gleason score and type of treatment strongly influenced PCSM whereas only treatment modality was associated with OM.
- •The observed benefits of dose-escalation warrant future randomized trials.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preliminary results of a randomized radiotherapy dose-escalation study comparing 70 Gy with 78 Gy for prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol: Official J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 3904-3911
- Ten-year follow-up of radiation therapy oncology group protocol 92–02: a phase III trial of the duration of elective androgen deprivation in locally advanced prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol: Official J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 2497-2504
- Ten- and 15-yr prostate cancer-specific mortality in patients with nonmetastatic locally advanced or aggressive intermediate prostate cancer, randomized to lifelong endocrine treatment alone or combined with radiotherapy: final results of the Scandinavian prostate cancer group-7.Eur Urol. 2016; 70: 684-691
- External irradiation with or without long-term androgen suppression for prostate cancer with high metastatic risk: 10-year results of an EORTC randomised study.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 1066-1073
- Combined androgen deprivation therapy and radiation therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer: a randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet (London, England). 2011; 378: 2104-2111
Guidelines EAU. http://uroweb.org/guideline/prostate-cancer/.
- Adjuvant radiotherapy versus wait-and-see after radical prostatectomy: 10-year follow-up of the ARO 96-02/AUO AP 09/95 trial.Eur Urol. 2014; 66: 243-250
- Radical prostatectomy, external beam radiotherapy, or external beam radiotherapy with brachytherapy boost and disease progression and mortality in patients with Gleason score 9–10 prostate cancer.JAMA. 2018; 319: 896-905
- Long-term outcome by risk factors using conformal high-dose-rate brachytherapy (HDR-BT) boost with or without neoadjuvant androgen suppression for localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 58: 1048-1055
- Dosimetric predictors of biochemical control of prostate cancer in patients randomised to external beam radiotherapy with a boost of high dose rate brachytherapy.Radiother Oncol: J Eur Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 2014; 110: 110-113
- Combined treatment with temporary short-term high dose rate iridium-192 brachytherapy and external beam radiotherapy for irradiation of localized prostatic carcinoma.Radiother Oncol: J Eur Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 1997; 44: 237-244
- Implementation of high-dose-rate brachytherapy and androgen deprivation in patients with prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 933-939
- Pre-treatment risk stratification of prostate cancer patients: a critical review.Can Urol Assoc J. 2012; 6: 121-127
- Definition of lymph node areas for radiotherapy of prostate cancer: a critical literature review by the French Genito-Urinary Group and the French Association of Urology (GETUG-AFU).Cancer Treat Rev. 2015; 41: 814-820
- GEC/ESTRO-EAU recommendations on temporary brachytherapy using stepping sources for localised prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol: J Eur Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 2005; 74: 137-148
- Prognostic significance of histologic grading in patients with prostate carcinoma who are assessed by the Gleason and World Health Organization grading systems in needle biopsies obtained prior to radiotherapy.Cancer. 2001; 92: 311-319
- Endocrine treatment, with or without radiotherapy, in locally advanced prostate cancer (SPCG-7/SFUO-3): an open randomised phase III trial.Lancet (London, England). 2009; 24373: 301-308
- Randomized trial comparing conventional-dose with high-dose conformal radiation therapy in early-stage adenocarcinoma of the prostate: long-term results from proton radiation oncology group/american college of radiology 95-09.J Clin Oncol: Official J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1106-1111
- Long-term results of the M. D. Anderson randomized dose-escalation trial for prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol, Biol, Phys. 2008; 70: 67-74
- Dose escalation and quality of life in patients with localized prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy: long-term results of the Dutch randomized dose-escalation trial (CKTO 96-10 trial).Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 1004-1012
- Escalated-dose versus standard-dose conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer: first results from the MRC RT01 randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 475-487
- Phase III pilot study of dose escalation using conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer: PSA control and side effects.Br J Cancer. 2005; 92: 488-498
- Population-based 10-year oncologic outcomes after low-dose-rate brachytherapy for low-risk and intermediate-risk prostate cancer.Cancer. 2013; 119: 1537-1546
- High dose rate brachytherapy boost for prostate cancer: a systematic review.Cancer Treat Rev. 2014; 40: 414-425
- Castration radiosensitizes prostate cancer tissue by impairing DNA double-strand break repair.Sci Trans Med. 2015; 7 (312re11)
- Androgen receptor upregulation mediates radioresistance after ionizing radiation.Cancer Res. 2015; 75: 4688-4696
- Randomised trial of external beam radiotherapy alone or combined with high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost for localised prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol: J Eur Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 2012; 103: 217-222
- American Brachytherapy Society Task Group Report: Use of androgen deprivation therapy with prostate brachytherapy-A systematic literature review.Brachytherapy. 2017; 16: 245-265
- High-dose-rate brachytherapy boost for prostate cancer treatment: Different combinations of hypofractionated regimens and clinical outcomes.Radiother Oncol: J Eur Soc Therap Radiol Oncol. 2017; 124: 49-55
- Lack of benefit from a short course of androgen deprivation for unfavorable prostate cancer patients treated with an accelerated hypofractionated regime.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 62: 1322-1331
- Fatigue in prostate cancer survivors treated with definitive radiotherapy and LHRH analogs.Prostate. 2010; 70: 1480-1489
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy to the pelvis and androgen deprivation in men with locally advanced prostate cancer: a study of adverse effects and their relation to quality of life.Prostate. 2013; 73: 1038-1047
- Interim report of toxicity from 3D conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT) for prostate cancer on 3DOG/RTOG 9406, level III (79.2 Gy).Int J Radiat Oncol, Biol, Phys. 2002; 54: 1036-1046
- Gleason score and lethal prostate cancer: does 3 + 4 = 4 + 3?.J Clin Oncol: Official J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3459-3464
- Clinical utility of the percentage of positive prostate biopsies in predicting prostate cancer-specific and overall survival after radiotherapy for patients with localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 53: 581-587
- Gleason scoring at a comprehensive cancer center: what's the difference?.J Natl Compr Cancer Network: JNCCN. 2013; 11: 812-819