- •SPC risks increased with extended fields for Hodgkin lymphoma or childhood cancers.
- •No included studies estimated normal tissue dose–volume distribution.
- •Current clinical evidence on possible volume effects on SPC risks is very limited.
- •Biological mechanisms underlying volume effects on SPC risks are plausible.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Proportion of second cancers attributable to radiotherapy treatment in adults: a cohort study in the US SEER cancer registries.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 353-360
- Second cancers among 104,760 survivors of cervical cancer: evaluation of long-term risk.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 1634-1643
- Long-term solid cancer risk among 5-year survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1489-1497
- Second neoplasms in survivors of childhood cancer: findings from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2356-2362
- Lifelong cancer incidence in 47,697 patients treated for childhood cancer in the Nordic countries.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009; 101: 806-813
- Second malignant neoplasms in five-year survivors of childhood cancer: childhood cancer survivor study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 618-629
- Breast cancer after chest radiation therapy for childhood cancer.J Clin Oncology. 2014; 32: 2217-2223
Curtis R, Freedman D, Ron E, Ries LAG, Hacker DG, Edwards BK, et al. New malignancies among cancer survivors: SEER cancer registries, 1973-2000. NIH Publ. No. 05-5302. Bethesda, MD, USA: National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- Second malignant neoplasms after a first cancer in childhood: temporal pattern of risk according to type of treatment.Br J Cancer. 1999; 79: 1884-1893
- Radiation-induced second cancers: the impact of 3D-CRT and IMRT.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 56: 83-88
- Dose to normal tissues outside the radiation therapy patient's treated volume: a review of different radiation therapy techniques.Health Phys. 2008; 95: 666-676
- Second primary cancers after intensity-modulated vs 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy for prostate cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 1368-1370
- Incidence of second malignancies among patients treated with proton versus photon radiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 87: 46-52
- Proton beam therapy for pediatric malignancies: a retrospective observational multicenter study in Japan.Cancer Med. 2016; 5: 1519-1525
- ESTRO BPgotG. Second primary cancers after radiation for prostate cancer: a review of data from planning studies.Radiat Oncol. 2013; 8: 172
- Estimation of second cancer risk after radiotherapy for rectal cancer: comparison of 3D conformal radiotherapy and volumetric modulated arc therapy using different high dose fractionation schemes.Radiat Oncol. 2016; 11: 149
- Radiobiological risk estimates of adverse events and secondary cancer for proton and photon radiation therapy of pediatric medulloblastoma.Acta Oncol. 2011; 50: 806-816
- Optimized volumetric modulated arc therapy versus 3D-CRT for early stage mediastinal Hodgkin lymphoma without axillary involvement: a comparison of second cancers and heart disease risk.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 92: 161-168
- A planning comparison of dose patterns in organs at risk and predicted risk for radiation induced malignancy in the contralateral breast following radiation therapy of primary breast using conventional, IMRT and volumetric modulated arc treatment techniques.Acta Oncol. 2009; 48: 495-503
- Estimation of radiation-induced cancer from three-dimensional dose distributions: Concept of organ equivalent dose.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 61: 1510-1515
- Site-specific dose-response relationships for cancer induction from the combined Japanese A-bomb and Hodgkin cohorts for doses relevant to radiotherapy.Theor Biol Med Model. 2011; 8: 27
- Principal cellular and tissue effects of radiation.in: Kufe D.W. Pollock R.E. Weichselbaum R.R. Holland-Frei cancer medicine. 6th ed. BC Decker, Hamilton (ON)2003
- Photons – radiobiological issues related to the risk of second malignancies.Phys Med. 2017; 42: 213-220
- London, UK, Hodder Arnold2009: 191-206 Basic clinical radiobiology. 4th ed.
- Systemic effects of local radiotherapy.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 718-726
ICRU. ICRU Report 83: Prescribing, Recording, and Reporting Photon-Beam Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT). Bethesda, MD, USA: International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements; 2010. p. 1–106.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: W64
UNSCEAR. Principles and criteria for ensuring the quality of the Committee's reviews of epidemiological studies of radiation exposure. In: Sources, Effects and Risks of Ionizing Radiation, United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) 2017 Report2018.
- Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and combined modality for Hodgkin's disease, with emphasis on second cancer risk.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD003187
- Long-term results of a randomised trial of involved field radiotherapy vs extended field radiotherapy in stage I and II Hodgkin lymphoma.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005; 17: 47-53
- Chemotherapy plus involved-field radiation in early-stage Hodgkin's disease.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1916-1927
- Second solid tumors and leukemia after treatment for Hodgkin's disease: an analysis of 1121 patients from a single institution.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1994; 29: 25-31
- Increased risk of breast cancer in splenectomized patients undergoing radiation therapy for Hodgkin's disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 37: 405-409
- The need for long-term surveillance for patients treated with curative radiotherapy for Hodgkin's disease: University of Minnesota experience.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 48: 169-179
- Lung cancer after Hodgkin's disease: a nested case-control study of the relation to treatment.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 1610-1618
- Second malignancy after Hodgkin disease treated with radiation therapy with or without chemotherapy: long-term risks and risk factors.Blood. 2002; 100: 1989-1996
- Breast cancer following Hodgkin's Disease: the experience of the University of Florence.Breast J. 2010; 16: 290-296
- Patterns of subsequent malignancies after Hodgkin lymphoma in children and adults.Br J Haemat. 2012; 158: 615-625
- Breast cancer risk after supradiaphragmatic radiotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma in England and Wales: a National Cohort Study.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2745-2752
- Second Cancer Risk Up to 40 Years after Treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2499-2511
- Second malignancies after treatment of early-stage breast cancer: lumpectomy and radiation therapy versus mastectomy.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2406-2412
- Region of Treatment in Radiotherapy and Second Malignancies in Breast Cancer Patients.J Cancer Ther. 2012; 3: 768-776
- Second malignancies after adjuvant radiation therapy for early stage breast cancer: is there increased risk with addition of regional radiation to local radiation?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 977-985
- Secondary colorectal carcinoma after childhood cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2552-2558
- Is there an increased risk of second primaries following prostate irradiation?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 41: 251-255
- Radiation dose and leukaemia risk: general relative risk techniques for dose-response models in a matched case-control study.Stat Med. 1991; 10: 1511-1526
- Role of radiation dose in the risk of secondary leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood treated between 1980 and 1999.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 1474-1482
- Risk of subsequent leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood: impact of bone marrow radiation therapy and chemotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 658-667
- Risk of second bone sarcoma following childhood cancer: role of radiation therapy treatment.Radiat Environ Biophys. 2014; 53: 381-390
- Optimisation of chemotherapy and radiotherapy for untreated Hodgkin lymphoma patients with respect to second malignant neoplasms, overall and progression-free survival: individual participant data analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 9 (CD008814)
- Risk of a second malignant neoplasm after cancer in childhood treated with radiotherapy: correlation with the integral dose restricted to the irradiated fields.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 908-915
- Second solid cancers after radiation therapy: a systematic review of the epidemiologic studies of the radiation dose-response relationship.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 224-233
- Solid tumor risks after high doses of ionizing radiation.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005; 102: 13040-13045
- A new view of radiation-induced cancer: integrating short- and long-term processes. Part I: approach.Radiat Environ Biophys. 2009; 48: 263-274
- Radiation-induced leukemia at doses relevant to radiation therapy: modeling mechanisms and estimating risks.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 1794-1806
- Frequency distribution of second solid cancer locations in relation to the irradiated volume among 115 patients treated for childhood cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 74: 876-883
- Retrospective reconstructions of active bone marrow dose-volume histograms.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 1216-1224
- Reconstruction of organ dose for external radiotherapy patients in retrospective epidemiologic studies.Phys Med Biol. 2015; 60: 2309-2324
- Radiation dose to the esophagus from breast cancer radiation therapy, 1943–1996: an international population-based study of 414 patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 694-701
- Use of normal tissue complication probability models in the clinic.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: S10-S19
- Functional data analysis in NTCP modeling: a new method to explore the radiation dose-volume effects.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 654-663