Background and purpose
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Radiotherapy and Oncology
- Outcome of salvage total laryngectomy following organ preservation therapy: the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group trial 91–11.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 129: 44-49
- Postoperative concurrent radiotherapy and chemotherapy for high-risk squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1937-1944
- Long-term follow-up of the RTOG 9501/intergroup phase III trial: postoperative concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy in high-risk squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 1198-1205
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy in the treatment of oropharyngeal cancer: an update of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 291-298
- An investigation of intensity-modulated radiation therapy versus conventional two-dimensional and 3D-conformal radiation therapy for early stage larynx cancer.Radiat Oncol. 2010; 5: 74
- Locally recurrent, previously irradiated head and neck cancer: concurrent re-irradiation and chemotherapy, or chemotherapy alone?.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2653-2658
- Randomized trial of postoperative reirradiation combined with chemotherapy after salvage surgery compared with salvage surgery alone in head and neck carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 5518-5523
- Re-irradiation with concomitant chemotherapy of unresectable recurrent head and neck cancer: a potentially curable disease.Ann Oncol. 1996; 7: 913-918
- Phase II study of low-dose paclitaxel and cisplatin in combination with split-course concomitant twice-daily reirradiation in recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Protocol 9911.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 4800-4805
- Final report of RTOG 9610, a multi-institutional trial of reirradiation and chemotherapy for unresectable recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Head Neck. 2008; 30: 281-288
Radiation Therapy Oncology Group: RTOG Clinical Trials Study Number 0421, n.d.
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: head and neck cancer. Fort Washington, PA, n.d.
- Results and prognostic factors in the retreatment of locally recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 41: 1099-1111
- Salvage re-irradiation for recurrent head and neck cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68: 731-740
- Long-term outcome of concurrent chemotherapy and reirradiation for recurrent and second primary head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 64: 382-391
- Full-dose reirradiation for unresectable head and neck carcinoma: experience at the Gustave-Roussy Institute in a series of 169 patients.J Clin Oncol. 1998; 16: 3556-3562
- IMRT reirradiation of head and neck cancer-disease control and morbidity outcomes.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 73: 399-409
- Prognostic factors for survival after salvage reirradiation of head and neck cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 1983-1991
- Patterns of relapse in locally advanced head and neck cancer patients who achieved complete remission after combined modality therapy.Cancer. 1985; 56: 1242-1245
- Meta-analysis of chemotherapy in head and neck cancer (MACH-NC): an update on 93 randomised trials and 17,346 patients.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 92: 4-14
Strojan P, Corry J, Eisbruch A, et al. Recurrent and second primary squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: when and how to reirradiate. Head Neck 2013. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hed.23542/abstract.
- End of life considerations in the head and neck cancer patient.Oral Oncol. 2009; 45: 431-434
- Salvage of recurrent head and neck squamous cell carcinoma after primary curative surgery.Head Neck. 2003; 25: 953-959
- AJCC cancer staging manual.7th ed. Springer, New York2010
National Cancer Institute: Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events v3.0. ctep.cancer.gov; 2006.
- Retreatment of recurrent head and neck cancer in a previously irradiated field.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2012; 22: 214-219
- Continuous-course reirradiation with concurrent carboplatin and paclitaxel for locally recurrent, nonmetastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head-and-neck.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 690-695
- A retrospective comparison of robotic stereotactic body radiotherapy and three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for the reirradiation of locally recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: e263-e268
- The pattern of failure after reirradiation of recurrent squamous cell head and neck cancer: implications for defining the targets.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 74: 1342-1347
- Prospective trial of high-dose reirradiation using daily image guidance with intensity-modulated radiotherapy for recurrent and second primary head-and-neck cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 80: 669-676
- Survival outcome of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma with first local failure: a study by the Hong Kong Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Study Group.Head Neck. 2005; 27: 397-405
- Reirradiation of locally recurrent nasopharynx cancer with external beam radiotherapy with or without brachytherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: 130-137
- Toxicity and survival outcomes of hyperfractionated split-course reirradiation and daily concurrent chemotherapy in locoregionally recurrent, previously irradiated head and neck cancers.Head Neck. 2009; 31: 493-502
- Comparison of evidence on harms of medical interventions in randomized and nonrandomized studies.CMAJ. 2006; 174: 635-641
☆Presented in part at the American Society for Radiation Oncology Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 28–November 31, 2012.