Background and purpose
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:CMF (cyclophosphamide methotrexate fluorouracil), CT (computer tomography), DBCG (Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group), DM (distant metastases), EBCTCG (Early Breast Cancer Trialists Collaborative Group), ER (estrogen receptor), PgR (progesterone receptor), LR (local recurrence), PMRT (Postmastectomy radiotherapy), TNM (tumor node metastasis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Radiotherapy and Oncology
- The results of radical operations for the cure of carcinoma of the breast.Ann Surg. 1907; 46: 1
- Laboratory and clinical research in breast cancer – a personal adventure.Cancer Res. 1980; 40: 3863-3874
- Karnofsky Memorial Lecture. Natural history of small breast cancers.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 2229-2234
- Effects of radiotherapy and of differences in the extent of surgery for early breast cancer on local recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials.Lancet. 2005; 366: 2087-2106
- Local therapy and survival in breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2399-2405
- Post-mastectomy radiation therapy: translating local benefits into improved survival.Breast. 2007; 16: S78-S83
- Meeting highlights: International Consensus Panel on the Treatment of Primary Breast Cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 1601-1608
- Consensus Statement on postmastectomy radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 44: 989-990
- Postmastectomy radiotherapy: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 1539-1569
Goldhirsch A, Glick JH, Gelber RD, Coates AS, Senn HJ. Meeting highlights: International Consensus Panel on the Treatment of Primary Breast Cancer. In: Seventh International Conference on Adjuvant Therapy of Primary Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:3817–27.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement: adjuvant therapy for breast cancer, November 1–3, 2000.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 979-989
- The curative role of radiotherapy in the treatment of operable breast cancer.Eur J Cancer. 2002; 38: 1961-1974
- Meeting highlights: updated international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3357-3365
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 16. Locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapy.CMAJ. 2004; 170: 1263-1273
- Meeting highlights: international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2005.Ann Oncol. 2005; 16: 1569-1583
- Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk premenopausal women with breast cancer who receive adjuvant chemotherapy. Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group 82b Trial.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 949-955
- Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk postmenopausal breast-cancer patients given adjuvant tamoxifen: Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group DBCG 82c randomised trial.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1641-1648
- Study of failure pattern among high-risk breast cancer patients with or without postmastectomy radiotherapy in addition to adjuvant systemic therapy: long-term results from the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group DBCG 82 b and c randomized studies.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2268-2275
- Tissue microarrays compared with whole sections and biochemical analyses. A subgroup analysis of DBCG82 b&c.Acta Oncol. 2008; 47: 591-599
- Histological grading and prognosis in breast cancer; a study of 1409 cases of which 359 have been followed for 15 years.Br J Cancer. 1957; 11: 359-377
Effects of radiotherapy and surgery in early breast cancer. An overview of the randomized trials. Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group. N Engl J Med 1995;333:1444–55.
- Overview of randomized trials of postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy in breast cancer.Cancer Treat Rep. 1987; 71: 15-29
- Cause-specific mortality in long-term survivors of breast cancer who participated in trials of radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 447-453
Favourable and unfavourable effects on long-term survival of radiotherapy for early breast cancer: an overview of the randomised trials. Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group. Lancet 2000;355:1757–770.
- Overview of randomized trials in high risk breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant systemic therapy with or without postmastectomy irradiation.Semin Radiat Oncol. 1999; 9: 292-299
- More evidence that locoregional radiation therapy improves survival: what should we do?.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97: 82-84
- Is the benefit of postmastectomy irradiation limited to patients with four or more positive nodes, as recommended in international consensus reports? A subgroup analysis of the DBCG 82 b&c randomized trials.Radiother Oncol. 2007; 82: 247-253
- Locoregional radiation therapy in patients with high-risk breast cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: 20-year results of the British Columbia randomized trial.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97: 116-126
- Morbidity and mortality of ischaemic heart disease in high-risk breast-cancer patients after adjuvant postmastectomy systemic treatment with or without radiotherapy: analysis of DBCG 82b and 82c randomised trials. Radiotherapy Committee of the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1425-1430
- Estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, HER-2, and response to postmastectomy radiotherapy in high-risk Breast Cancer: The Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1419-1426
☆The study was conducted on behalf of the DBCG (Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group).